I'm not superstitious but....


I don't worry if I break a mirror or take a shortcut to avoid walking under a ladder. I'm not concerned when a black cat crosses my path and Friday the 13th is always just another Friday to me. So you could say I'm not superstitious and for the most part you'd be right but I do have some odd little quirks that might be interpreted otherwise if you didn't know better. 

I do occasionally worry about jinxing things which is a silly thing for someone who usually finds comfort in the logical. The last time I was applying for jobs, I got an interview very early on in the job hunt but in truth it wasn't a job I actually wanted so I didn't go. At the time I remember worrying that I had some how jinxed my chances of getting a job by virtually turning down that one. I didn't get another interview for quite some time and even though logic dictates the unlikelihood of those two facts being connected I was still prone to worrying I had somehow created the situation. 

another way in which I worry about jinxing something is when you start seeing someone new and you're feeling pretty happy so you are filled with the, super irritating, urge to tell all your friends all about it. In the past , on more than one occasion, I've raved about the new guy I'm involved only to have things promptly end. Now I do know that those facts are unrelated, really I do and I've certainly never had Someone end things citing my smugness ( about their liking me) as a reason. Despite all this I often find myself thinking, oh maybe I should have kept that to myself , in the aftermath . If one was to believe in Murphy's law then it could be easily be believed that its entire purpose is to prevent me from getting too comfortable. even with this irrational worry weighing on my mind, my behaviour remains unchanged. I don't do things by halves and when I'm
Happy I can't seem to do quiet, keep it to 
Myself sort of happy. It has to be all up in your face and annoyingly smiley. The sort of behaviour that backfires when it all goes to shit and you find yourself having
to endlessly explain what happened there. 

I also used to have a thing about star signs. Well I've always enjoyed reading about my personality as dictated by my star sign and seeing which parts I relate to. As for the predicting your week/year/month I know that part is 99% bullshit. Once I read somewhere that the job of writing horoscopes in a magazine is usually given to which ever writer that has 
Nothing to do and yet I still used to read mine selectively. By selectively I mean that I would ignore all the bad stuff because star signs are rubbish right ?but I would feel a little frisson of excitement when I'd read about some thing good ahead. wondering if I'd have met that guy if I'd gone out on Wednesday night ( just like my horoscope said I would) and where is that money that was supposed to come my way. Then I remember that in all likelihood someone made up the horoscopes for kicks and I go back to reading a book or doing something less redundant with my time . 

So you see, I'm not really superstitious at all 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..