How to be snowed in

Snow is a funny thing. We as a nation (The Irish, that is) get terribly excited about its arrival but when it comes we could not be less prepared. It seems the idea of snow is much better than the reality. I on the otherhand was a bit more sceptical. I had previous run ins with snow that had not gone particularly well when living in Lausanne, Switzerland and in Edinburgh. I knew that snow while beautiful held its own pitfalls. Nothing like trekking home 3 hours in the snow (wearing penneys answer to the ugg boot) because all public transport had been cancelled that day(thanks Edinburgh). I couldn't yet afford proper weatherproof footwear (still waiting on my first paycheck at the time) and the fact that the only way I knew to get home was the bus route, left a sour taste in my mouth while other around me were getting excited about the promise of snow.

I waited this snow storm they predicted with trepidation. Now I know the whole internet has been ablaze with our reaction to the snow, it being even worse than anyone expected. The nation panic bought bread and milk like the end of the world was coming and other snowy countries laughed at how dramatic we were. What they failed to realise however is that Ireland does not get weather like this which means we have zero back up in place. We don't own snow tyres or snow appropriate clothing and its easier than you think for us to get totally snowed in.

My snowed in schedule went a little like this. On Tuesday night I was working late as I had a one off opportunity to bring someone I support to the Opera and I was worried the snow would cancel our plans. It didn't and he loved it and I got home very late but untouched by snow. 

On Wednesday morning I woke to find my car under a blanket of white. I panicked because I wanted to train and buy snacks (priorities) so I risked a drive to town. I'm under experienced at driving in snowy or icy conditions so I felt a little bit sick the entire drive in as the car swayed on the snow or my brakes became obsolete. I got a good workout and then left my car into the mechanic for something minor while I ran off and bought all of the 'essential snacks'. I was worried about the roads getting worse so I got home around lunch time and prepared to hibernate while cautiously checking the weather out the windows.

On Thursday morning I woke to see everything looked whiter. I put on all my hiking gear (so many layers) and set out to check out the roads. I was due to work a short but late shift that day and I wanted to see how risky it would be to drive. By the time I reached the part where my road turned off for town (30 mins walking) I realised I would be off my head to attempt driving so I made the call to work. Luckily I wasn't due on duty again for another few days so the snow could do its worst. I then continued on to the woods down the road and had a little walk while exclaiming (silently in my own head) about how beautiful everything looked in the snow. I was safely indoors well before the 4pm curfew (red weather warning) and thought I was doing quite well being snowed in.

Thursday night brought snowfall so come Friday morning everything looked worse or more beautiful depending on how you looked at it. I was looking at it from the perspective of someone with cabin fever. I decided to walk to town and estimated it was probably an hours walk. I tried to find out what might be open but info online was sketchy so I wrapped up and set off walking. I gravely misjudged the distance. It took the best part of two hours to reach town. The road has never seemed so long. I definitely questioned my sanity. Then I reached civilisation at last and was greeted by a ghost town. My efforts were not rewarded. Luckily the hotels were open and I managed to sit down and eat every carb they would serve me before my return walk. The walk home was much harder than the walk in. Some of my clothes were damp; my feet hurt, the return journey was clearly going to take as long as the walk in, all the carbs made me want to nap and I had no snacks to take home. Sure I stopped on the way back and took a few photos because everything looked amazing but inwardly I seethed at the stupid snow that had overstayed its welcome.

This brings us to this morning while I lay in bed and trawled the internet, seeing that many places had re opened and I heard town calling me. It's siren song of good coffee and potential snacks. Once again I found myself mummyfying myself and heading out to survey the roads. All the while I was wondering if they didn't prove to have cleared enough to drive on them was I actually mad enough to hike to town a second time. Fortunately that was not an avenue I had to explore because the roads were mostly clear and I made an executive decision to drive in. A good decision as I got into town much faster than on foot and it wasn't long before I was filling up with coffee and carrying a backpack full of snacks. Town was grey and miserable but I was happy to retreat home once I knew I was no longer snowed in.

Hopefully the snow will begin to disappear, melting into the landscape and we can begin to meet Spring, the season I have been hearing so much about. In its own way the snow was beautiful, like the makeover Ireland never knew it needed but now as it slowly fades from the road, leaving a grey slushy trail in its wake, the country looks like it had a particularly late night and didn't stop to remove it's make up. I will be happy to look back on the glorious photos of the countryside and have the memories of snow so long as I don't actually have to see any for another long while. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..