No obligations

I don't know if I've mentioned it but I've recently dipped my toes back into the murky pool of online dating. I'm not looking to be in a relationship right at this very moment in time so you could say it's an exploratory exercise.

I have found in the past when Im very keen to be coupled up that it comes across in my exchanges and that quiet air of desperation is ever so off putting. So it seems smart in a way to see what's out there now when Im reasonably content in my own company. Now if this little adventure led to me meeting a guy who I felt had the possibility of more, I surely wouldn't run away but I'm not looking to rush the process.

With all this in mind, today I received a message from a man that I've been in contact with a little while  but had yet to successfully arrange a date with. I opened a message from him to find he had sent me a lengthy diatribe. To be fair this in itself from a man I have spent no time with is a major red flag. It seems he mulled over a few of our previous conversations and taken issue with not one but several remarks made by me and was demanding an explanation. You know what I dont really know this man and he certainly doesn't know me so if you were to add up what I owe him in explanation or other it would be zero. So I politely suggested we never meet and went about my day.

It made me think about what it means to be single and yes it can be lonely at times and not every element of it is rosy or certainly would stop looking immediately for the possibility of a significant other but there are some benefits I can appreciate straight away.

The main one would be the complete lack of obligations. I mean this in a social sense. While I do have my moments, I am not the most social of butterflies. I do find being someone's girlfriend significantly increases the possibility that I might be asked to attend weddings, parties or functions that I would otherwise be excluded from. That feels like a glorious burst of freedom right now.

I also feel like I'm not answerable to anybody so if a flirtation goes astray, I am not obligated to work things out. I can't just walk away or in my case roll over in the bed to watch a bad tv show and have a nice long nap.

I can do whatever the hell I want all the time. Obviously work and finances reign me in somewhat but I have lot more freedom with how I spend my time. Stayed in every night this week, am I now obligated to go out? Hell no. Want to spend my free time training and reading books  great. Want to anything else in my free time, also great.

So yes, I'll keep looking and talking to other single men and keep an eye on what's out there. All while trying not to be the pickiest woman alive but while I do all of that, I'm going to enjoy the sweet feeling of no obligations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..