Coffee with strangers and other escapades


This weekend was a rarity for me being that it was a weekend off and I hadn't actually booked it, it was just the way my hours fell. I was certain this was some sort of error so I made as many plans as I could for the weekend just so I knew I could say with certainty that I had made plans when someone from work inevitably called me, asking me to work, I could say I had plans.
In the morning I was going to meet some girls from Girl Crew, Art Beat in the afternoon followed by dinner then out to Thomastown to see a band that night.

It feels strange to say my first outing of the day was coffee with strangers but essentially that's what it was. As I mentioned in the last blog post about this Girl Crew is there so women without a large social network can meet other like minded people for walks, coffee and nights out. Its hard as an adult to make friends because even if it was socially acceptable to approach random women who look cool if they want to be friends, most of us are far too self conscious to even think about doing it. This was my second Girl Crew meeting so I was feeling a little braver than my first time although I did come pretty close to talking myself out of going when I woke a little cranky and unwilling to interact with strangers. We were originally supposed to be meeting in Tramore for a walk but unfortunately the day we picked to meet was the same day the Viking Marathon was on and so many roads were closed that it was a no go. So instead we met in town for coffee. I had the jitters waiting at our meeting spot because I can be awkward with strangers but I bravely did not run away and ended up having coffee with four other like minded and lovely ladies. What has struck me most about this whole thing is how many other women have that whole feeling of wishing they could expand their social circle but not knowing how. So yay for Girl Crew for changing that. 

I headed home to eat and change before going to the Art Beat Gig in Baileys New Street. I actually missed the first band but in my defence I was so comfortable lying down (possibly not the best defence) I arrived just in time to hear Buffalo Sunn start up. They are a Dublin based band who play a sixties inspired rock although they have a much fancier description of their music on their own page. I arrived down with my 99 cone to sit in the sort of sun and there was a lovely laid back atmosphere. Someone commented that the drummer looked like Jeff Goldblum and the keyboard player looked like James Franco from a certain angle but I am sure it is not why they were picked for the band. They played a great set to an appreciative crowd and it made for a lovely afternoon. We dashed off soon after the band finished to up to grab dinner in Momo, I had been thinking about their summer risotto since my last visit but we had plans to see the band later out in Red Door music and arts. 


Later in the evening we made our way to Thomastown, by then the weather had taken a turn and the rain that had been threatened all day made an appearance. It felt a little like the end of the world driving up the motorway. The Red Door pub is a lovely venue, a really great space and last night we got to see their Marque as this was to be a bigger gig. The whole space was decorated by bunting and funky lanterns and flowers like in the picture above and there were loads of picnic benches and couches. I was very happy to sit myself down and be entertained.

 The band were supported by a Kilkenny band called Beautiful Corruption who had played Art Beat last week, one of the gigs I had to miss due to work. They are fairly young, I think all about 17/18 ( I could be wrong on that ) and ridiculously talented. They describe themselves as alt rock and play mostly their own material but threw in some fantastic covers. I was blown away by their gig. Really great vocals and some amazing guitar playing. I bought their Ep at the end of the gig and not just because they dropped many veiled hints inbetween songs but I was looking forward to listening to their stuff again from the comfort of my home. I am sure we'll be seeing more of these guys in the near future.


Buffalo Sunn are by all accounts already pretty big, a well known name on the music scene, I always seem to be terribly behind on what's up and coming so I trust others to share this knowledge with me so I don't miss out or embarrass myself by accidentally admitting how out of the loop I am on these things. I had heard some of the hype surrounding these guys and then I had really enjoyed their earlier gig in the city but I was interested in seeing them play in a different sort of venue. There was good buzz in the marque on the night but I am certain that if the weather had been a bit less apocalyptic that we wouldn't have been able to move for people. 
I do enjoy hearing a band more the second time around because their music feels a little more familiar to me. So even though it was only hours before I had heard the band for the first time I found myself nodding along to the ones I liked most. It was a great end to an even better Saturday and I am sure we will be back to the Red Door soon for more Belgian Beer and Pringles and of course some excellent musical entertainment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..