Sounds of the summer

Last summer, which feels like a life time ago now, I had a select number of set days off, a few days holidays booked and then I'd get my weekends off when the rotation came up. And oh man how I complained about it. Sure even if I'd had more days off, I didn't exactly much money to go places. This summer has rolled around and a lot has changed. I am not hiding in the dusty corners of the Bookshop wondering what the weather is like outside. I am working in lots of places with windows and even getting out in the sunshine as part of my work but even though I am working more flexible hours, and making a bit more money I don't exactly have  summer holidays planned.

The uncertain nature of the work I do means that I am reluctant to make too many plans far into the future because I worry I might not have many hours when the time comes and will not be able to afford my very exciting plans. The problem for me right now is that I have too many hours and that comes with its own problems. Namely me being very sleepy a lot of the time and not really having much time to head off on a spontaneous day trip or two. However at the urging of Stephen I have taken the liberty of booking a few days off over the summer for various events that we just 'have' to go to. The rest of the summer will probably be me napping a lot, working my ass off and taking advantage of free time when it crops up. At least with all of the extra hours, I will have enough money to actually be spontaneous so that puts me in a better place than last summer, if you weren't counting the fact that I actually like my job now.

I have discovered that I am very bad at turning down work when its offered last minute and asking for time off I'm due but I'm slowly getting better at it and I have discovered that putting myself down as unavailable to work a particular date tends to be a lot more successful than just asking if I can have it off. And so it has worked out that I will be going to three concerts over the summer (and that's not counting the numerous Central Arts and Art Beat gigs I plan to get to).

On July fourth we head to Kilkenny for Hollow Sounds. Its a small one day festival being held just outside Kilkenny. I don't know a whole lot about it. I Don't even know most of the band names, not that I am particularly up to date about what music is currently good. I do know however that the tickets were great value at  €30 and Stephen tells me its going to be great and has been telling me this for weeks while asking me to get that Saturday off. I am sure it will be a great day out and if nothing else it will give me something to write about aside from napping and the Barney songs playing in my head.

Then on the 13th of July we head to Cork to go see Damien Rice. This was part of my Christmas present and its been so long since I received the tickets that I keep forgetting about it and then remembering all over again. We're going to head to Cork on the Sunday and just hang out in the city, go for food and a few drinks and then go to the gig on Monday night. He's one of my favourite singers and its been over six years since I have seen him live so I am really excited. Plus Cork is home to great eateries like Milanos and  Liberty Grill so we can really make the most of it.

Then on the August Bank Holiday weekend we have a gig down here to go to plus maybe some Spraoi festivities and then on the Sunday we head to Dun  Laoghaire, Dublin for  The Beatyard. Its a weekend festival taking place in Dun Laoghaire Harbour and Stephen has been talking about it for so long that we kind of had to go. I have family living in that part of Dublin so I know it well. Hopefully it will be as good as it sounds and I can make the most of the few weekends I have off this summer. Fingers crossed the weather is a little better than the wet pitter patter of rain I'm listening to now. Either way with weekends off being such a hot commodity, I am sure I will make the most of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..