How far would you go for good pizza ??

I am not sure if I mentioned it in my last blog post but this weekend was supposed to be my golden weekend. I had a full weekend off, even if I got asked to work I would say no and myself and Stephen were going to make exciting plans. I am not sure at what point this fell apart but somehow I found myself working on Saturday and Sunday night and twice on Monday. To be fair I knew about Monday but the rest can be put down to my inability to say no and an impressive lack of planing on my part. We decided to make sort of plans anyway. I was going to be home from work by 5pm Saturday and didn't have to leave for my next shift till 7pm Sunday so there were some possibilities available. Saturday night we were going to a gig and Sunday we were planning to head to Carlow Arts festival but then I got all spontaneous and said lets spend the day in Cork instead.

To facilitate our mini road trip I packed all my stuff for work on Saturday night while trying to build some enthusiasm for leaving the apartment ( I was just so tired) and then got up early Sunday morning. As plans go it was a bit mad as we needed to be on the road before 11 and heading back by 4, not to mention the fact that I was adding four hours driving to all of the working. At the same time I have been doing a crazy amount of working and it feels a bit like its taking over so I wanted to reclaim my day off and have a nice day out, maybe even spend a bit of money I shouldn't be spending.

The drive down was fine, the weather couldn't make up its mind if was going to be raining or sunny and I really needed to pee but otherwise fine. I had the lure of pizza to keep me going. We got down for 12 and headed straight to the shops to have a look. I didn't really have money to be spending but I kept shushing the voice in my head that was telling me that. The trouble with clothes shopping with himself isn't so much that he does that really irritating shadow thing that many men do (where they follow you really closely as you attempt to browse) but that I am usually done while he is still looking. I was on a one woman mission for a jacket that didn't look like I was going hiking for the spring ( my only light jacket is a windbreaker) and new converse type runners because mine have fallen apart. By the time we stopped for lunch I had the jacket ( bought by himself and thus nicer than jacket I have ever paid for) and few other 'necessities' and Stephen was carrying a few bags too.

For lunch we went to our favourite eatery. Milano's on Oliver Plunkett Street. I have been a huge fan of their delicious pizza for many years now. I can't even remember who introduced me to the place. Back in my wheat eating days I was partial to their garlic bread and dough balls with garlic butter. I still have dreams about it occasionally. That's the bit of gluten free living they don't talk about, the wheat dreams. Anyway I had to give it up for a while until I read somewhere that they offered a gluten free pizza and I was down to Cork before I finished reading the article. I haven't had pizza in months so I was more than a little excited. They did not disappoint, my pizza was every bit as delicious as I remembered. Stephen had gotten a bigger pizza than me (sadly the only downside to the gluten free option is that they only make one sized base) and was full up but I had gotten a glimpse of the dessert menu. Despite the fact that I am officially off sugar, the gluten free brownie had caught my eye. I was aware it could be enough to set me on a sugar eating rampage but our day in Cork was a 'treat yo self' ( like in parks and rec) day and hell I deserved it. The brownie was really delicious, like heaven in my mouth so for now I am saying I made a good call.

After lunch we made a quick stop at Tkmaxx before heading back to the car. I came away with shoes, a tshirt and a vest plus the jacket, another vest and leggings from before lunch so a worthwhile outing. The only thing is the tiredness hit me like a tonne of bricks and I still had a two hour drive to get home. It would be fair to say I was a little cranky. I survived the drive home and got back in time for a quick bite before leaving for work. Now I'm exhausted and maybe I should have stayed home and gotten rest but I think we needed that day out and I definitely needed that pizza. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..