Beware of woman in detox mode

Some of my regular readers may remember that a few days ago I pledged to go on a cleanse of sorts for 30 days. Partly to manage my sugar intake both for my weight and general well being. Anyone who's been reading this for a good while will know that I have a wonderful habit of pledging to do things and then not quite following through but this my friends is going to be different. 
I have been detoxing since Monday and let me tell you so far it has not been pleasant. Now before you start to imagine that I am some sort of wine guzzling savage who can't go a day without it and fills the hours inbetween wine eating loaves of spelt bread dipped in sugar, my diet wasn't really all that bad. I did make my week that bit harder by having all the chocolate over the weekend like a very silly goose indeed. I survive with a very twisted sort of logic so having decided the detox would start Monday and finally acknowledging the wine I was going to have Friday ( because of the meal for my boyfriends birthday) would be laced with sugar, I figured why not have one last hurrah before being good. Naturally I had forgotten ( somewhat deliberately) that chocolate now makes me very sick and very emotional. I was actually pretty tame Friday night, only having two glasses of wine and stopping there but when I woke the next morning severely sleep deprived I knew I would not be making smart choices. By the time Sunday rolled round I had left my willpower in my other handbag.
I ate chocolate like it might go off if I didn't devour it (and like it going to waste was the worst thing that could happen). As much as I hate to acknowledge an 'I told you so', my boyfriend very cleverly reminded me that if I went nuts on chocolate that I would regret it later. 

He was right and by the time I was home for the evening I was an emotional basket case. 
You know you're in a bad way when your boyfriend tells you he'll text you in the morning because you've had too much chocolate. So Monday I woke with renewed willpower and the vague feeling of regret from a chocolate binge. It's now day five and I'm going strongish. I haven't had any spelt bread or any sugar and to be fair I only really have wine at social occasions so that should be the easiest part of this whole 30 day thing. I have however had several bouts of sugar withdrawal induced depression, dizziness, feeling like I am going to vomit, not being able to concentrate and extreme hunger. I mean actually hungry like a wolf.
It's not like I'm a stranger to the wonders of sugar leaving my body seeing as this is not the first time I have attempted to quit and yes I have gone longer than 5 days without. I am still waiting for the best part which is the bit where I go through a phase of randomly crying for no reason. While I'm aware that sounds a bit mental and trust me it feels a bit like that too. It turns out that when you use sugar as an emotional crutch and oh boy did I use it like that, then when you stop eating it then all the bad feelings sugar has been making go away all come bubbling to the surface like one big tear party. 

I am still working out regularly and being mostly very good in what I am eating bar the odd dark chocolate stevia bar (which isn't sugar and falls somewhere in the territory between sort of bad but not really all that good either) but I'm still feeling all kinds of wobbly. It's pretty naive to expect any sort of results five days in but I was hoping for more. As for now I will soldier on and I think I'll last the course but I'm not sure what will happen once the 30 days are up 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..