Fringe benefits

I've had pretty much the same hair cut since I was about four or five but I reckon if you find  a look that works for you then why not stick with it. Well I've played around with it a bit but I always come back to the bob. I think I've had a fringe for as long as I can remember apart from brief periods of madness in my youth where I tried to grow it out and then realized how fucking weird my face looks without it and promptly got it cut back in just to restore the status quo. Myself and the fringe have had our ups and downs. There was the time at age 6 or 7 I got my hands on a scissors and decided to give it a trim, sadly I knew little about cutting hair and had to endure several months with a triangle missing from my fringe. I'd like to say I've learned from the experience but that was not the last time I attempted to trim my fringe and the follow up attempts in my twenties were only marginally better and often ended with me shuffling shamefaced to my hairdressers and confessing all before seeing if my fringe could be rescued.

There was also the time when the hairdresser got a bit impatient because she was leaving way too much length in my fringe and I kept asking her to take a tiny bit more off so she lobbed a big chunk of my fringe off and it ended up ridiculously short so I spent two months looking like a boy. Eh thanks for that, Ms hairdresser.

Without a fringe you can easily get lazy on the hair appointments and no one will be any the wiser but when I start looking like an english sheepdog ( I'm a bit old to look like a goth), all hair in my eyes, It's a bit of a give away but having a fringe can be beneficial. If you were prone to using terrible puns ( and despite how it looks, I'm not) you might say there are some fringe benefits. Ba dum chi ( my attempt at cymbals type noise) 

Mostly what got me thinking about the convenience of my fringe was today when I managed to do something both painful and embarrassing in work. It was similar to the time I flipped over a stool and whacked it off my leg ( while attempting to hang christmas decorations)  except this wont leave a scar and this time there were witnesses. I was sitting at the customer services desk dealing with a customer and then I turned to get the book he had ordered but misjudged where I was sitting ( normally that would be right in the centre which means Once I turned around and stood up I'd be facing the area where we keep customer orders but instead I was actually facing a fall a few inches away) ,and because I was still sleep deprived, I whacked my head off the wall. Like really hard and then had to try laugh it off because I was trying to look like less of a dope plus I still had to take the customer down to the till to pay the balance owed on the book. Only then could I inspect the damage and shed a few tears at the shock of whacking my head off a wall for crying out loud. The only good news in this whole thing is that my lovely thick fringe covers my brand new forehead welt. So I only have to share evidence of my stupidity with a select few but won't have strangers casting a wary eye at my boyfriend while I explain that no, really I did hit my head off a wall. As you do. 

it's not the first time I've hidden behind it. Down the years I've shielded the odd sneaky spot from view with help from my trusty fringe and during my heady twenties when I was drinking beyond my limit and violently ill all the next day, I would shield the horrible rash my face would get from that level of hangover ( by hangover I mean awful alcohol induced vomiting). Trust me, the world was a better place for it as no one needed to see me looking like a creature from the swamp.

As for today, the cut is pretty minor and the bump is more marble than the golf ball I've claimed it to be but it can do its thing and heal under my fringe and maybe I can go back to using it as that nice part of my hair that frames my face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..