The great wine denial mystery

I was discussing my weekend (namely my hangover) with my sister today and she was surprised to hear I had been drinking wine. If you are wondering why she was so surprised it's because I have been off sugar for a full six weeks now and mysteriously not lost much weight despite eating fairly healthily most of the time and she couldn't figure it out until I mentioned the wine. So apparently wine is absolutely loaded with sugar, weird eh ?
A fact I have been somewhat aware of but not really been willing to fully acknowledge mostly because I have been still drinking it at social occasions so its suited me to think as wine as other. It didn't help that one of  the diet books I'd read in recent months had somewhat advocated that when cutting out sugar that some wine was okay to drink. I didn't put too much thought into the matter as quite frankly I didn't want to. As my dad is so fond of saying ( and we all practice our terrible joke groan upon hearing it) I was like the queen of Egypt- living in denial. 

It's one of those things where on some level I did know that alcohol contains sugar so logic would dictate that the sweeter the wine ( the more I enjoy it) the more sugar contains. I know, I know, it's hardly rocket science. The penny finally dropped for me, I wasn't eating sweets and I don't consume any wheat or very much spelt bread but here I was all pudgy and constantly craving sugar and wondering when it would stop. On Monday I was consumed with sugar cravings so strong that it took all the willpower in the world to not climb into the Leonidas chocolate fridge and just eat my way out. The funny thing is what held me back was the belief that craving wasn't actually a physical craving for chocolate and more like an emotional need. Sure hadn't I been off it 6 weeks now, it would have left my system, not really thinking about how much sugar I had been dosing myself with when I had the bottle of wine at the weekend.

So unless I want to start buying bigger clothes or learn to embrace the muffin top ( I really really don't) then some change is due. So I am starting Monday ( not because all diets start on a Monday ) because my boyfriends birthday is Friday and I'm going with him and some of his friends for a meal at a very fancy schmancy French restaurant so naturally there will be wine of some description. Also speaking from experience, of which I have much, on Saturday when I drag my sleep deprived ass out of bed for work I will not be ready to make smart food choices. Sleep deprived Laura is a very silly girl so no point in setting myself up for failure.

Here's the plan, come Monday May 12th I am going to start 30 days of no sugar or wine or spelt bread and I'll be more consistent with my training ( I swear) . So I'll be less sugar cravy and skinnier and happier. If I succeed ( and no reason why I shouldn't as I've given up alcohol, sugar and wheat of all kinds for more than 30 days) I have already picked out a dress I am going to buy myself. I tried it on today in River Island and it was really nice and figure hugging if you don't count my wobbly belly ( which I would prefer to not have hugged quite so much) and right now I would very much need magic hold me in pants (which make it difficult to sit/move/breathe in) to pull it off but hopefully, all going well I shall be Swanning around in it by mid June looking very good indeed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..