The invader experience


What did you do With your Friday night ? 
Oh you were in the pub. That's nice.
I was at the opera. I know it makes me sound very sophisticated unless you've actually met me in person. now I'm at least 35% more cultured. That ought to win me brownie points though I'm not sure with whom. Perhaps the crowd that normally attend this sort of thing will think 
I'm hip but then again given that Most people there had a good 10-15 years on me, I'm not entirely sure I want to impress them.

So not only did I attend an opera last night but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure I'd consider myself a convert just yet 
because liking one opera does not make me an opera fan but I might just be more open to giving seeing another one a shot instead of just dismissing it out of hand, despite how fond I've become of my method for dealing With the unfamiliar.

It seems my concerns about dress code were unwarranted and I probably could have turned up there in a ball gown and not have been the most dressed up. 
There were Dickie bows and fancy shawls galore but as I mentioned before my boyfriend and I were probably the youngest there.

The story was based loosely on a Grecian story about a king who has his daughter stolen away from him by his half 
brother who has been charming local women to follow him into the woods. It is done a little differently as the main cast were dressed in contemporary clothes and the main set was a modern looking living room. Our free seats were right in the middle of the front row. Not a spot I'd normally choose as it was very close to the action and there wasn't much hope of sneakily checking my mobile.
However as the show got started I realized I quite liked it because you could see what the conductor was doing and see which instruments were being played. For me as non classical music fan it all starts to blur together but I enjoyed the peek behind the scenes. 
Also I learned that the conductor being able to see the stage ( his head peeks out when he stands on his platform to conduct) is not bad stage design but in fact intentional because he conducts the ensemble too. Who knew , well probably Anyone who's been to an opera before. 
So it was a night of learning and a great show. Colour me impressed and I'm ready for more cultural experiences.
Not tonight though, tonight I am putting on my pyjamas and panning out on my couch to watch law and order Svu 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..