How to be boring

It was last night as I was taking a break from getting ready (to read some of my book) that the worrying symptoms first appeared. I found myself thinking that if I wasn't going out that I could curl up with my book and then I would have saved a load of money so I could buy nice things to eat on Sunday. I felt a resentment at spending my money on alcohol when it could be on strawberries and even though I had time to finish my book before I headed out, I had others sitting on my bookshelf in a tantalising manner begging to be read. This is when I realized I was becoming very boring. And yet I did nothing to fight it.

So we went out last night because one of Stephen's friends was turning 30, a guy I had met once or twice before and I had been invited along to the party in the upstairs of bar of a bar in town. I was already committed to my sugar free drink of choice -vodka and soda water which is just as boring as it sounds and tastes of absolutely nothing. Upon leaving my apartment I had tallied my money for the week and decided I didn't want to give away my precious food money on tasteless vodka that will only make my mouth taste like sock the next morning. Now just to be clear, I have done my food shopping for the week so I have enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner until the end of the week so the food money I am referring to is just for treats. Mostly fruit and nakd bars. 

The main problem with drinking vodka and soda water aside from the sheer taste of dullness within the glass is that I find it has absolutely no effect on me. Perhaps its because I am having too few or drinking them too slowly but I have reached a point where it occurred to me that I could just buy a soda water with a slice of lime for the same feeling of soberness without harming my liver. For the four hours we were out, I had two drinks and took my sweet time drinking them which made my heels rather sore to work in, funny how I'd forgotten how alcohol would cushion the blow of foot torture in the name of sleeker looking legs. I find when sober in a room full of people I don't know well I become quite socially awkward so there's a lot of sitting quietly trying not to look bored or openly yawn, all while thinking about the spelt toast I might have when I got home. Plus of course talking to Stephens friends that I already knew, watching him drunkenly dance and encouraging him to eat some cake and cupcakes because they looked yummy and I just had to know. When he finally suggested we head away at 1, I won't lie. I was delighted and sure I'd only bought one of my two drinks so my bag was full of money for yummy yummy things. I don't know what's worse, the realization that I'm becoming boring or the fact that I don't really mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..