We are the best tourists ever


Today was our last proper day in edinburgh. Technically we leave tomorrow but we'll be heading to the airport shortly after breakfast so I hardly think that counts so despite sore heads and slightly socky mouths we got up earlyish determined to Actually visit some places because there are only so many naps you can have on a four day holiday. Anyway on the sort of agenda for today was two museums , a bookshop plus a few boutiquey shops, plus lunch , post lunch nap and then a quick dinner before goodbye drinks with my friends. Yes I had really planned that much of our day. Well one of us has to. 

We had breakfast out and by that I mean Stephen had a fry and I had a long conversation with the Italian woman working there about my dietary restrictions after I didn't order any food. Note to self , next time just pretend it's the hangover stopping me from ordering. The more we wander around the city , the more shortcuts we are discovering and then consequently realizing how silly we were walking unnecessarily long routes to get to everywhere. We discovered the national 
museum was only around the corner by accident and also by using the Map
As it was actually intended. I am
Not a museum enthusiast,  I tend to get a little bored looking at all the exhibits and after a while they all blend together. This was different with giant animals and loads of interactive parts. I think this Is when I realized how much of a child I really am. I got more than a little excited by the interactive aspect. There was a bit where you sit on a seat and peddle as fast as you can while racing different animals. I came pretty close to beating a hippo. they are faster than you'd think . Then there was one that tests your reaction time And I rocked it. I know this for a fact because I watched a girl try it before me and I got almost double what she did. Then I found the area where they have traditional costumes you can try on and
made Stephen take photos of me in all of them although that might have been the lack of sleep making me a bit hyper.

I hit a few funky shops in search of presents for Both me and other people. 
I got myself my new favourite thing which is a tiny mouth organ on a chain. It looks like a retro chain but I have been playing bad music on it since I got it so I can verify it works 

After that we walked to the museum of childhood while Stephen told me how sore his feet were. It was like the chorus 
our weekend away. Oh wait I know this one , I'm thinking that I might have to start a whip round to get him better shoes. The museum wasn't great and also Stephens feet were sore ( apparently ) so we abandoned it to go in search of lunch. We ended up at hub because it was quite near the bookshop I was keen to check out. I only ended up having a baked potato with cheese but it was awesome. It was exactly the carb fest I was looking for while Stephen opted for a shepherds pie type thing made with haggis.  Bellies full we 
Went In search of blackwells books. 

I do enjoy a good wander in a bookshop especially when I'm far enough away from home to not feel like I'm working. I find sometimes that the really big shops overwhelm me. I don't know where to start and ideally I could do with an hour to explore which I didn't think Stephen would facilitate even while sitting on one of their big squashy couches resting his very sore feet. So I skimmed general fiction and humor and then went in search of the children's section. I was actually there in search of presents but I couldn't help noticing their children's section was awesome . They had a fantastic selection of books, really well organized and so much space but I managed to stop myself taking photos of books I'd like to get for work. I left with a small bag of presents wishing I could stay longer. 

after a quick lie down back at the hostel. We went to Ie petit Paris for dinner. I'd read stuff about it in the guidebook plus it was three doors up from the bar we'd arranged to meet everyone at. Now I am no longer new to French cuisine but I still figured there had to be at least one thing on the menu I could eat. The waitress (who was 
French ) seemed quite perplexed about my vegetarianism and told me I had only two choices. she gave me a vague description of the house salad so I decided to go for that thinking it a safe bet and Stephen got muscles. Stephens food arrived in a giant bucket type thing and I kindly refrained from telling him that I thought the muscles looked like snots in shells but only because I'm sound like that. I averted my eyes while he ate them and Instead paid attention to my salad which arrived so coated in dressing that it seemed like the salad was an afterthought to accompany it. I think someone got a little too enthusiastic With it while preparing my food so it was not delicious and I was forced to do a rescue mission on the bite that looked edible. I can safely say I felt begrudged when paying for it.  

After all that came the saddest part of the night , the farewell drinks. I can't believe it's been so long since I hung out with the girls and I was glad everyone got on so well together. But I will admit I got a bit teary saying my goodbyes. after everyone had headed off , myself and Stephen stayed out to see a few more bars and I probably could have happily crawled into bed come 11 but it was our last night so I made an effort to prop myself up and it was over 2hrs later that I found myself steering a very drunk man back to our hostel. I'm going to be feeling down leaving but I won't deny I'm looking forward to being back in my apartment and sleeping in my own bed



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..