They don't make them like they used to

Last night my boyfriend and I had a date night. Very exciting stuff. Not to big it up or anything but the Theatre royal is running a thing called cult classics and showing old movies. The difference is they are doing online voting so you have a say in what movie they will be showing and the one with the most votes wins. It's an interactive experience and people are encouraged to dress up. I was more than happy to go watch an old movie on the big screen but not quite prepared to don a costume for the event. I'll save the dressing up for work. It seems many other people didn't share my views and there were many people dressed as shark bite victims and even one shark.

I will admit my recollections of watching jaws as a child were a little hazy. I remembered seeing it and the music and not a whole lot else but watching it with fresh eyes, it occurred to me that modern directors could do well to rewatch jaws so they can see how you build tension effectively. The horrors and thrillers that have been made in the last decade at least seem to have a flimsy grasp on how to do that. It's all blood and gore and shock value and while I would say most of these movies are not for the weak of stomach, I wouldn't go so far as to say I've actually been scared watching any of them.

Jaws was a different ball game altogether. My boyfriend and I watch movies fairly frequently. Usually comedies or world cinema so last night was his first introduction to how jumpy I can be during a well executed film. I think the music was key plus I couldn't remember enough of the story line to predict where it was going next ( bar the fact that the shark was likely to attack again) so I spent a good portion of the movie on the edge of my seat and I may have jumped and audibly gasped at more than one point much to the amusement of Stephen beside me. I will say that I enjoyed the movie far more than I expected to and watching old movies on the big screen seems to bring something new to the experience. Especially when we got sprayed on several occasions by a water gun ( like I said, interactive) 

The next one is on in two weeks and the winning movie is pulp fiction. Now that really is a classic. I am however debating whether to go in costume or not. I already have my hair cut in a bob ( I had it rescued yesterday) so really all I'd need is a white shirt, black pants and I'd be golden. As date night's go, I'd call it a win. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..