There's a festival on my street (sort of)

If you haven't heard of Daytripper 'festival' then don't feel too bad because it's not much of one and it's happening far too close to my apartment for my liking. Okay so technically it's not happening on my street per se but there's a car park at the end of the lane that leads to my apartment and the 'festival' is happening there. I didn't buy tickets, mostly because I didn't want to and it seems that I don't really need to because with my windows open I can hear all the music just fine. It's on over 3 nights and each night has one name you'd actually have heard of or maybe you haven't like kaiser chiefs, david gray and Paloma Faith and then someone who hasn't released anything in years plus a handful of decent local bands and then they have the cheek to charge €90 for a weekend ticket or €37 for 1 day. It's certainly not the next Electric Picnic by any stretch of the imagination and right now for me it's annoyance.  Up there with the loud lady who's having cans out the front and lots of shouty conversations or the seriously hyper kids who weave around the cars on scooters only louder and more annoying.

The good news is tonight is the last night and then it's over for another year and maybe I can bear stuff like this in mind the next time I'm looking at moving apartment. 
I have found my whole daytripper experience has caused me to empathize with the residents of houses within audible distance of Croke park and their whole Garth Brooks dispute. Thinking about how riled up I've been listening to music I can barely hear or trying not to listen but it still lies there at the edge of consciousness like an Itch I am unable to scratch. I can only imagine how bad it would be to have five nights of Garth Brooks ringing out in your neighbourhood. Plus that's obviously a much bigger venue so there's the crowds and the traffic being gridlocked during the whole thing.
I remember in college, one of the girls I shared an apartment with in my first year, had a delightful boyfriend who given his lifestyle is most likely in prison now but he was a really big Garth Brooks fan, like really big. So much so that whenever he would visit her ( thankfully not every week) he would insist we all listened to his Garth Brooks cd often more than once and always very loud. My protests that I wasn't much of a Garth Brooks fan ( as in I wouldn't listen to him voluntarily) fell on very deaf, stupid ears and I found the whole experience to be an endurance test of sorts. That was only a cd so just imagine a full blown concert with nearly 100,000 people. I'd have protested to or moved if there was time.

For now I'll be counting down until 11 tonight when this whole thing is over and done with and just thank my lucky stars I am not living any closer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..