a totally objective review of the Kilkenny comedy festival (sort of)

If you have never read my blog before and you're expecting a complete run down of the sky cat laughs festival then you're in for a disappointment. This is not that sort of blog. It's not a complete lie because I was in Kilkenny yesterday and as it happens I did see some comedy but it was just the one show and it might not be fair to to judge an entire festival based on that.

Much as I've always wanted to go to cat laughs, I can't say yesterday was part of a big master plan, it was more a series of happy coincidences. I booked this weekend off ages ago and then forgot about it; during the week we decided on a day out in Kilkenny and I only realized it coincided with the comedy festival when I took to the internet to see if there was anything happening and then boom we had comedy tickets and a plan for the weekend. We set off early enough because it was a lovely sunny day and we wanted to make the most of it. Looking out my window now at the grey miserable Sunday, I'm glad we did because the chances of another sunny day coinciding with a day off seems slim. It wasn't that hot out when we got down and I was starting to question my very summery outfit choice but I decided to just go with it but that was mostly because by the time I started to feel cold my car ( with a change of clothes) was far away and I am nothing if not lazy. Luckily it did get sunny later so I was glad I stuck it out. While browsing in all the little shops we found a place selling all kinds of nommy looking spelt bread and decided on a picnic lunch in  the park because this could be our only day of summer (growing up in Ireland has filled me with optimism regarding sunny days). I think it was an hour later when I was just about finished looking in shops and had purchased a very cute pair of shorts ( judging by the current weather , I will be lucky if I get a chance to wear them) and it occurred to me that maybe just maybe we had come down a little too early. The comedy show wasn't on till 6.30 and we had far too many hours left to kill. We wandered a lot and went for tea and then wandered some more but hanging around doesn't feel as bad when the weather is nice.

The show we had tickets for was John Lynn, Aisling Bea, Kamu Bell, David O Doherty and Glenn Wool. We also got to see many comedians just hanging around the place and over heard some Woman asking Tommy Tiernan about his thoughts on gay couples and how often they had sex. Maybe in the context of the conversation it made sense but as a snippet it was just plain weird.
I wanted to go see Glenn Wool and the fact that David O Doherty was in the same slot was a major bonus. He's my favourite comedian for sure. I think we lucked out because all of them really made me laugh. We'll I would say Glenn Wool and DOD had me laughing most but I think we did well for €26 a ticket.
 By the end of the show my face hurt from laughing, I was bursting to pee and we had less than 30 minutes to get my car out of Mcdonagh junction shopping centre on the other side of town, before it closed. Had a tiny bit of panic because the shopping centre was closed and the only way into the car park was the way we drove in and then all the machines you paid at were also closed, It was less than ideal especially because I was still bursting to pee but we got lucky (not in that way, you perverts) and a nice security guard just let us out so there we got about 9 hours parking for free. By this stage we were both starving so I found somewhere to leave the car and went in search of food. Now at this stage it was just gone nine on a Saturday night so the prospect of getting any sort of decent food was slim so I'm not sure how I didn't anticipate this happening. I can say at this stage I haven't been going out with my boyfriend that long ( seven months or thereabouts) and we don't fight a lot, we get on pretty well so I think every fight we've had to date has been when we're both hungry and can't agree on somewhere to eat. I think you can guess where this is going but it ended with us sitting in supermacs, him eating a pizza and me angrily refusing to talk to him. We're cool now though. I waited till I got home to have snacks. I figured any sort of fast food was going to make me violently ill and fat (because my body's a dick) and it wouldn't have been worth it.
other than that it was great day out, and I'd do it all again except this time I'd eat before the comedy show and avoid having hangry (hungry and angry) Laura on the loose in Kilkenny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..