one day to go

One day to go until the Irish Throwdown and I am getting pretty excited. The only thing better than doing Crossfit is watching those who are so much better than me do it heavier and faster than I ever could. I don't think there's any danger of me competing in the forseable future, not while I'm still getting tangled in a skipping rope and using a band to do chin ups.

I don't like sporting events of any shape or form. God help the man who tries to drag me to any form of sporting event but this will be the third crossfit comp I've watched (if you include last years crossfit games) and I'm hooked. I think it's because it's relatable in a way that other sporting activities aren't for me.  I can look at someone snatching or deadlifting and think, I can do that (albeit with a much lighter weight and not as good form) and it makes it easier to grasp how impressive the athletes competing are. You only have to do five wall balls to fully grasp that the 300  they had to do in last years crossfit regionals would have been somewhere between excruciatingly painful and hell.

There are other factors that make this competition something for me to anticipate. It's set to be the biggest crossfit competition in Ireland, which is awesome. The whole thing is taking place at Rockwell college, just outside of Cashel, Co Tipperary, I know several people competing in it so it won't just be about watching the best compete but rooting for other members of my gym and even though their performance has nothing to do with me or my training, there is still a sense of pride to attached to it. Plus, my gym, Crossfit Tipperary (formerly known as the forge) is hosting the whole thing. I have probably mentioned this before but the reason I travel up and down to Clonmel to train every week is because my sister owns the gym ( with her husband)  that I train at (plus it's an awesome gym) so I'm also really (american tourist level) excited that they have pulled such an event together.

Now I know so many who don't crossfit jokingly call it a cult or write it off as madness. I can see it at work when I have a new bruise on show or am unable to get down stairs unaided, the look people get but for those of us that do it, it's exhilarating and you don't want to keep it to yourself. You want everyone to try so they can understand where you're coming from and laugh at those same jokes in the hilarious girls who do crossfit videos and experience the same thrill you get when you nail a strict chin up for the first time or don't come last in a workout.

So I'm half packed for the early drive tomorrow morning when I will be dragging my half asleep, considerable less enthused boyfriend out of bed to hit the road, with my Crossfit Tipperary t-shirt on I'll be ready to cheer and be very very glad that I won't be expected to pull similar feats of amazingness out of a hat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..