The lost weekend

I used to be the sort of girl to write a blog post everyday but then life got in the way. I had planned to write more this weekend but I had a massive energy crash and didn't do very much of anything. This weekend was the weekend that I was running a city wide Where's wally hunt in work but it was also a weekend where lots of other people I work with were off so not the ideal weekend to be running a children's event in the shop. On top of that Waterford is the sort of city in which people will usually all flock to whatever big event is on leaving not many people around for smaller events or in the city at all. My big hunt clashed with the viking marathon so I was flitting around the shop all morning preparing and half panicking about the possibility that no children would turn up at all. That feeling got worse when I came back from work dressed as Wally to find the shop looking almost deserted. It didn't help that it was an incredibly warm day for wearing a wooly hat( part of my homemade wally costume)  indoors.
I did eventually have some kids in to play the game, just about enough of them but they arrived in so slowly that I had pretty much written off my event as a failure. 
The kids found wally in the shop and then went off in search of him in several other local shops and I'm told they had a good time doing it but as the event was winding down, the other book staff went home and I was left to deal with customer queries still dressed as Wally. A fact the customers seemed to take in their stride.
I did eventually get out of my costume but between picking winners from the wally hunt and contacting them about their prizes plus usual work stuff like answering the phone and dealing with customer queries, it all got a bit hectic and I was ready for a lie down by the time we had locked up the shop.

Unfortunately for me a lie down was not on the cards. I had a reservation for dinner with Stephen at a local italian place (which had been confirmed to be offering gluten free pizza) and then I had promised to make an appearance at a colleagues going away party. The pizza part was all good. It was not the most amazing pizza I have ever had but that's to be expected upon going gluten free. It was still pretty damn good and I was so hungry I almost inhaled it. The problem by the time I was done I was back to feeling exhausted and we had a good bit of time to kill before the going away party. That's when we had the genius idea of heading back to mine just to lie down for a bit. I had misgivings about this as a plan but I headed home regardless and by the time I lay down on my bed, book in hand, I had to acknowledge I wasn't going anywhere for the night.
I'm off drink about six weeks now so I'm finding my desire to socialize in pubs and so on has waned in this time but I couldn't even get myself off the bed to to throw a tv show on the laptop. It did not bode well for the night. We eventually ventured out for snacks ( I had to be coerced) I came home with berries and coconut milk and the boyfriend got Icecream. We managed to stay awake for one show before virtually passing out from tiredness. He had spent the day at his nephews birthday party so he was also wiped. But that was my Saturday night, try not to hate. 

By Sunday, I was alive again and determined to finish my book. It might not have been much of a plan but it was a plan all the same. I was midway through the girl with all  the gifts and I wanted to see how it would end. It's quite challenging getting through a book when you're spending the day with someone . Especially as you can be seen to be rude or anti social but I am more than able for this sort of challenge. I woke early and managed to read for a good bit before breakfast and even sneaked in a few more pages here and there before we headed to the beach, picnic in tow. 
We had decided to head to Bunmahon for a change guessing it might be less crowded than some of the more popular beaches but I had never driven there and Stephen had a general idea of how to get there. It involved a lot of driving down narrow country roads and in the absence of signposts hoping we were going in the right direction.
We did eventually find it and made our way across some very hot sand to find a more secluded spot to sit and eat. Picnic concluded I reached for my book and read a bit in the sun thinking I could happily sit here until this book was finished but it wasn't long before the bookless man beside me was declaring himself bored so I reluctantly put the book down to walk the length of the beach. By the time we returned to our bags the sun had disappeared and we sat in the sand so I could read some more until it eventually got too cold. So we headed home to relax a bit before dinner. Back at mine ,with wifi to occupy himself, I managed to finish my book uninterrupted which made me very happy indeed.
There are worse ways to spend a weekend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..