The grown up test


Last night my boyfriend and I went for a meal in a very nice French restaurant, just
like grown ups. well we were more like amateur grown ups, sitting down to eat at 6 to ensure we got the early bird menu and proffering two vouchers that covered the exact cost of our meal ( my house mate had been given them from work when he didn't attend their Christmas party and generously donated them to me) so In reality I felt a bit like a student because I couldn't afford to eat at this restaurant at a regular time or without the
voucher (not after this weeks fruit buying mania). The other truth that struck me was that I actually had more money as a student ( working part time) even if I did hate the job that put me through college. 

anyway I had been putting off using the donated vouchers for as long as possible 
because my last encounter with French food had me feeling the experience would more of an endurance than a treat. 
It's no secret that I'm a picky eater so I'm 
Never going to be classed as a foodie and the truth is I usually prefer food I can prepare myself. Yup, I'm that level of fussy. So spending a lot of money on one  
meal never really seems worth it. 

Stephen on the other hand was really looking forward to going for dinner. he has the opposite attitude to food so I guess opposites really do attract.
Anyway I was off Saturday ( yesterday) and we had no plans so I booked us a table and then began to wonder what I might eat. 

so were in the restaurant and the waitress brings us our menus, I flick to the €20 menu and promptly start to panic as the fish of the day is salmon and cod in a pie which does not sound like something I'd eat voluntarily but my boyfriend suggests we ask about the vegetarian menu and I am presented with 
Some options that sound a lot less daunting. I opt for a Mediterranean dish with cous cous which sounds like nothing I've ever eaten before but turns out to be quite nice and I end up feeling ridiculously proud of myself. Stephen gets the duck which he says is lovely but I find have to look away when he goes to remove the bone because it makes me feel a bit squeamish. 
I donate the wine I got to him as I'm still off wine and he was More than happy to help out. Then for desert he got the creme brûlée and I got a bowl of fruit salad which normally comes with Ice cream and lime sauce that I couldn't eat so I got just the fruit and I was happy out with it.

I think I can call it a success and who knows maybe someday I'll be the sort of person who eats out all the time but I wouldn't hold your breath 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..