the sunshine bug

I'm sure you all have noticed that we seem to be getting some unseasonably good weather and I for one am really enjoying it. I am lapping up the sunshine in my one pair of shorts like I have always lived in this sort of climate. To be fair I am not really able for too much of the sun, all sweaty and tired and feeling under pressure just walking to work but I like it all the same. I will confess to being so unused to this sunshine that on Monday morning I  almost fell out of bed after being woken by the sun, less out of shock and more because the sun waking me had me fully convinced it was later in the morning and that I had slept through my alarm. It was only 6.30 so I guess I was wrong on that call.


When it's all sunny like this I think my brain goes into holiday mode. I want to be outside sitting in the park (until the grass gets too uncomfortable) or on a beach ( but not one that's too crowded) or sitting out in my parent's garden having a cup of tea on the patio or reading in the swing chair. I want to be napping in a hammock, gorging myself on berries and completely lost in whatever book has taken my fancy.

Then reality sets in and I'm sitting in an air conditioned shop wearing my all black uniform which may not actually melt in the sun but it sure feels like it. Today I was out on a errand trying to encourage local businesses to participate in our where's wally hunt and I eventually returned to work more out of the worry that I would pass out from heat stroke than because I had reached my quota. So I learned that black is a really bad colour for this sort of weather unless you enjoy feeling like you're being cooked in the sun and that an unreasonable number of people believe that it's acceptable to get a full meal at mcdonalds at 11.30 in the morning. 

I think the weather is due to hold up for a few days which is both a pleasure and a shame because you have to go back to normal life and do all sorts of things that are unpleasant in any sort of heat such as driving my car ( like being in a tiny oven) which has no air con unless you count rolling the windows down and building up a bit of speed. And I will also be doing some crossfit classes. If you have not tried crossfit before then I would suggest you don't let your first class be during a heatwave or you are unlikely to return. It's like activity that normally leaves you sweaty and feeling a bit ill is made ten times more horrible just by changing up the weather. I did a class the other day and had to wait ten minutes before I had dried off enough to change clothes and then I had to pull the car in at least 4 times leaving the business park just to defog my sunglasses. plus sleeping becomes difficult when everything is too warm but you need the comfort of covers to fall asleep and I will say in this weather my parents house really comes into its own. It goes from being an ice box ( 350 days a year) and then for 5 sunny days its all cool and refreshing. If they could only airlift the place to a country with a Mediterranean climate then they'd be set.

 That being said, I still feel ready to bask in the sun some more and enjoy the simple pleasures of flip flops and no cardigans and the sun on my back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..