The festival that wasn't

Yesterday, I went on a roadtrip with my boyfriend to a nearby summer festival in the village of Inistioge, Co Kilkenny. I had found the details of this so called festival when I checked to see if there was anything worth doing in Kilkenny this weekend. I guess not everything on the site can be a hit and we had done quite well in getting down to the Sky cat laughs festival the day before. Now I'm not sure if I misunderstood or if it was widely exaggerated but I was expecting a lot more from it.

We arrived early to an overcast sky, a few stands and inflatible structures in the middle of a field and I decided it had probably just started so we would go for a walk in the village and when we came back it would have kicked off and we'd be happy that we had spent €5 each just to get in. On the way out we paused for an obligatory photo with the giant straw teddy bear and I didn't realise till later but this was actually a highlight of the festival. In saying that festival seems like too grand a word for a few stands in a field.
We had a little wander and found a sign posted walk in the forest, all very nice and scenic so we had that plus I now have lots of photos of me looking summery in a forest. Some might say that's a win for the day. Plus I can mention it to my parents that I had a lovely walk on Sunday and they can nod in approval as though I've gone and earned some sort of fresh air points for making it outdoors.

Once we had exhausted walking possibilities in the forest we decided to head back and check out the festival which would surely be a bit more interesting over an hour later. It seems Stephen had understood it was the kind of event meant to appeal to families with young children but I had not and somehow this was not communicated to me. It soon became clear however when I was able to see with my own eyes that the bungee run and velcro wall were clearly being used exclusively by children,  A real shame given how much I would have enjoyed both of them. We then did a tour of the stalls but it was honestly like a low budget farmers market.  I'd say if you don't count the walk then we must have spent all of 15 mins actually at the festival before unanimously deciding the best plan was to get lunch. 
Next time I will know to lower my expectations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..