Other peoples weddings.


I don't go to a whole lot of weddings. I don't have a litany of reasons beyond the fact that I dont know a whole lot of people getting married. I can't say I know for sure but I do get a sneaking suspicion that it's frowned upon to gate crash the weddings of strangers. In case you're wondering where I'm going with this, I have been invited to a wedding. Actually I stand corrected, my boyfriend has been invited to a wedding and I am his plus one.

The wedding invite has been sitting tucked away in a drawer being happily ignored. I booked the day off work when the invite first arrived and seeing as the wedding is in Waterford that's my bit done for now or so I thought. As it happens this wedding is taking place this coming Thursday and it hit me on Tuesday how completely unprepared I was for this occasion. I know off the top of my head that I dont own a single item of clothing that could be worn to a wedding without turning a few heads for all the wrong reasons. This left me in a bit of a pickle because I dont know have the most extensive of budgets and weirdly eating crap and not exercising has not turned out to be working wonders for my physique.
I also don't really know what people wear to weddings except that white dresses are frowned upon. I headed to Tkmaxx with my boyfriend in tow, figuring someone who tells me I look lovely in everything I try on is better than no opinion at all.

I was dreading the experience. When unclothed you start to resemble a marshmallow, a changing room with 4 mirrors is a bit of an ordeal to say the least. I grabbed everything I thought might be vaguely suitable for this sort of event and marched bravely to the changing rooms. I tried on about 10 dresses mostly facing the door. Not everything fit and some things I got into but was lucky to get out of. I will tell you the dress that won had the honour of not being hideous on me. Its mint green and looks vaguely weddingy. It also makes me look like a cupcake because of the colour and not my muffin top ( which it hides quite nicely ). That bit over with, I wandered around the shop trying to solve the what the hell do I put with this dress ( shoes, cardigan ,bag )while my boyfriend looked baffled and threw out the sort of suggestions which belied the fact he really didn't get the nature of my problem.
The dress did come home with me and I happily realised I had shoes I could wear with it  and decided I would deal with the whole accessories thing another day ( some point over this weekend) and worst case scenario it might be a lovely day and I won't even need a cardigan and I can always carry my stuff in my hand, right ?

By Thursday  I'll have it all sorted and all I'll have to worry about is my disobedient hair and what the hell I'm going to eat all day. on a totally unrelated side note, what's the wedding etiquette on bringing your own food in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..