You can always count on Girlcrew


This weekend I had the pleasure of another lovely Girlcrew outing. There was a 60's/rockabilly event on in the Parlour tea rooms and I really wanted to go but I didn't have anyone to go with. Which is pretty much why Girlcrew was set up in the first place. My boyfriend was going to be there but would be working/networking for the night and I find my awkward wallflower act (my default position at events where I don't know anyone very well) to be exhausting.
I had recently attended an event that my boyfriend had organised which was also his birthday celebration and found that while I really enjoyed the actual performances, the bits inbetween where everyone mingles were actually painful for me. If I could have camouflaged myself I would have.

Anyway this is where Girlcrew steps in. I haven't been on many outings with fellow girlcrewers due to my unsociable work hours and other commitments but the few I have been to have been overwhelmingly positive. So I posted on the GirlCrew South East page and before I knew it I had two ladies, I had never met, agreeing to come with me and then my Saturday night was planned.
It was good that I had set all this up because come Saturday I wasn't in the best of form and had it not been for the fact that I was the one to make the plans in the first place then I'd have spent the night in my pyjamas reading (which doesn't sound all that terrible but not nearly as much fun)

We met in Tully's bar and within a few minutes it was like we had known each other ages. By the time we made our way to The Parlour, I was already glad I had decided to go out.
The girls had wine and I stuck to water but we were laughing and chatting so much I scarcely noticed I wasn't drinking. Beef Supreme were the first band to play, a lively rockabilly act from Carlow. They played all original music but I've seen them play several times now so I was able to sing along to all my favourites. They had the whole crowd nodding along and there was a great buzz in the room.

They were followed by Kelly and The Cosmosnauts. A local band that do fantastic 60's covers. They are wonderful for getting a crowd going. The lead singer has this amazing sultry voice and an impressive stage presence, She was clearly very comfortable in front of a crowd and I envied her for that alone, They were very warmly received as always and managed to get most people up dancing (even me at the end and I'm very self conscious without a drink or two to make think I have some rhythm) I was very glad to have ventured out and that someone thought to set up Girlcrew in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..