Dining out loud


I will admit that when I accepted a last minute invite to a dining in the dark event, I did so with a certain degree of trepidation. I am not exactly known as an adventurous eater. While I have certainly branched out over the last few years I am still a bit funny about food textures and flavours and generally I like to know exactly what I'm eating in case someone tries to sneak in one of the pesky foods I dont like. The other concerns I would have would be around my vegetarianism and gluten intolerance. If I accidentally eat wheat I would become quite sick and this involves one of three things none of which is delightful for my other dining companions as it will either involve me being locked in a bathroom or belching/ farting my way through the remainder of the meal. While eating meat is very unlikely to have same effect I do feel a bit ill thinking about eating it.

Normally all of these things coupled with my general dislike of publicly making a fuss  ( by making my food issues known) would be sufficient reasons for to suddenly remember that dine in the dark clashed with my plans to wash my hair. However this particular night was being held in Momo restaurant in Waterford city which was officially my favourite place to eat out for a long time. It still would be if I lived in Waterford. Also they know me well and my weird food ways so zero explaining was required.

We arrived at the restaurant in time to see every table filling up. The place was full of chat and candlelight and each place at the tables had a lovely black eye mask for each dinner guest. Once everyone was seated the wait staff came to each table in turn to take drinks orders and to give three choices going forward. Meat, fish or vegetarian and a gluten free option was available for each if required. This gave me far less control than I was accustomed to when eating out but i had opted in so I chose to surrender myself to the whole experience.

As the first course arrived we were instructed to put on our masks and I was initially struck by how disoriented I felt not being able to see my plate. I suddenly didn't know how to use my cutlery. I had to feel around the plate a lot using my hands, I didn't know what I was eating only that there was a gluten free bread and some sort of creamy sauce. It was lovely and I managed to eat it blindfolded without destroying myself which felt like a major achievement. I later found out it was some sort of mushroom pasta which I'd never have normally eaten.

You would think by the time the next course came id have mastered the basics but you would be wrong. I think I was moving the fork around the plate unsuccessfully for almost five minutes before managing to successfully spear some of the food. Once I did I realised i was eating some sort of lovely spiced cauliflower dish. I might have cheated and peaked a little but only because I encountered something unfamiliar on my plate and had a bit of mild panic that I was accidentally eating a non vegetarian option. It turns out I was wrong and I felt like a dope but such is life.

Then my main course arrived and I was told there were mini ramekins on my plate. By feeling around and just sticking my fingers in them ( not always the smartest way to explore unfamiliar foods) I discovered one was a mildly spicy ailioli and the other was some sort of creamy sauce. Then by abandoning my cutlery and just using my hands I found two delicious potato based concoctions  ( later revealed to be different types of croquettes) and then a burger which I surmised was made of falafel after my first bite. The only thing I encountered on the menu for the night that I had previously eaten. Usually though I would not just pick it up and eat like a giant biscuit. This proved to a messier meal than I had previously anticipated when I became convinced my napkin was on my plate and spent several minutes smearing my fingers with hummus before locating my actual napkin.

Now seeing as I am still awaiting my merit badge for time off sugar, I decided to pass on the dessert and left mine for the others to share. This however meant I did not need to wear my mask for the last course and so was witness to the hilarity of my dinner companions trying to sticky and delicious confections they could not see.

Overall I must say it was a great night and I'm really glad I lept out of my culinary comfort zone to give it a try. It's certainly something I'd try again but maybe I'll practice eating a meal with my eyes closed before my next foray so  I can use more cutlery the next time around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..