New girl walking

I'm trying to find words to express whats going through my head and I must admit I'm struggling. Tomorrow for the first time in almost 4 years I am going to be starting a new job. Which is sort of a record for me. I generally get fed up a bit sooner and start job shopping. I don't feel the need to stay in a job that doesn't make me happy or isn't meeting my needs. Ironically I'm still kind of learning how to do that in relationships but as always I am but a work in progress.

I'd love to say that I stayed so long in my workplace because I was terrifically happy in what I was doing. In a way I can say social care has fulfilled me in a way no other job has and I am certain I will carry with me the many relationships I built with the people I was supporting down through the years.
During my time in the job I worked in a few different houses so I never had time to reach my boredom threshold before a new challenge was presented.
However I felt like I'd gone as I could go in my current job and I started preparing to move on.

Here's the thing though, I have had a track record of pretty much sucking at interviews or at least I have done for so long that I don't set my expectations that high when I interview for a job I would like. I go in there thinking this will be good experience and hope they are at least nice enough to let me know I am being rejected. Perhaps over time I have honed some of those skills and allowed my enthusiasm for the work I have been doing come across because I applied for a job I really wanted and actually got offered an interview which I felt went reasonably well. I still managed to be quite surprised once they actually offered me the job. Especially as it was the first one I'd applied for. a lot of me put the whole thing down to luck but I suppose if I'm honest I'll acknowledge that I'm good at what I do and perhaps that's starting to come across in interviews.


The whole thing felt like it went on forever from offer of interview, to getting the job and finally being able to hand in my notice but Friday was my last day and tomorrow I will be the new girl all over again. A sort of exciting but mildly terrifying prospect. There is comfort to be taken from walking into work and knowing exactly what you should be doing, to feeling a degree of competence at your job. and now tomorrow I will be popping on my new girl hat, walking in clueless but ready to learn.

The good thing is it looks as though I will have a bit of time to adjust with work training and shadowing lined up for the next two weeks and I'm sure it wont be long before I've found my feet and I will be the new girl no more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..