Have a Slice day



Taking advantage of a Sunday off in November, myself and the boyfriend decided to go for a nice stroll through town in search of food and to take a look at Winterval, I had somehow managed to forget that while it all looks pretty that Winterval is pretty much catering for families and the food stalls don't have a whole lot to offer someone on as strict a diet as myself. This would probably be quite a sad story if the first stall we had encountered on our walk to town had not been Slice Woodfire Pizza.

When I first met John Keane, he was not actually making pizza but singing his own songs at an open mic night and doing a pretty great job of it might I add. It seems he his a man of many talents though and he is also excellent at making woodfire pizza. He started serving these to the general public over the summer in the New Street Gardens and has since branched out and gotten his own mobile trailer so he can set up anywhere in town and make his pizzas. The last few weeks he has been in John Roberts Square as part of the Saturday market but the beginning of the Winterval Festival (which began yesterday and runs for the next month) has Slice moved to a new location on Georges Street ( Directly facing the back of Shaws Department Store).


All the ingredients are high quality and fresh and you get to see the pizza being made before you. I have been watching enviously since he opened as my boyfriend orders yet another delicious pizza that I cannot eat and muttering about how he needs to work on a sourdough base (which I can eat sparingly) but lucky for me he has done one better than that and gone and sourced a gluten free base. As you can imagine this was very exciting news for me. Since discovering that gluten free pizza has become more mainstream, I have sampled many and they range from pretty sad, just about edible and quite nice so I can confidently say that the Slice Gluten Free pizza was by far the nicest I have tried so far. It has actually knocked Milano's off the top spot (for nicest gluten free pizza). The bases are bought in at present ( I believe there are plans to change this but making a good gluten free pizza base from scratch is a pretty tricky business) but I think its really the quality of the toppings that make the pizza and mine was absolutely delicious.

This pretty much made my Sunday because I had been thinking about trying one of the pizzas since a post went up before the weekend about the gluten free option and I am not sure I would have been able for a disappointment. So if you're in town for Winterval over the coming weeks or for any other reason be sure to pop down and check it out. Prices start at €5 for a full pizza (not just a slice) and you can't argue with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..