The benefits of hibernation

I think we can all agree that as months go, January kind of sucks for pretty much everyone. It's cold and dark and everyone is poor from Christmas. December is often a month of fun and spending and overindulgence where as January is realising how much you have over indulged and facing up to bills and the prospect of resolutions you will probably never keep.

I don't drink anymore so its fair to say every January is a dry January for me now. I don't have that to add to my misery and my junk food run only lasted 10 glorious days before I came to my senses and began my good old sugar detox but I haven't trained in three weeks and I have lost my motivation for pretty much everything so it's fair to say I am feeling the pinch of more than just my jeans.

I am not a big fan of January and I know I am not alone here but I am not looking for solidarity. Somehow in some mix of poor timing I find myself paying for every car related thing this month. I have just put my car through the NCT which it failed. Given that a mechanic has not laid hands on it since my last NCT means I was not shocked by this news but it does mean I will be incurring some extra expenses. I was informed two of my tyres are almost bald and both the NCT man and they guy in the tyre place were mildly alarmed I was still driving the car like this but I tend to only notice car problems when the car breaks down. So I shelled out for three new tyres (replaced the dead ones plus a third which wasn't far off ) and I'm waiting to leave my car into a mechanic to get something with the steering fixed. Then I get to book my retest, sort my insurance and then tax my car. 

In the meanwhile, while I avoid panicking about all the money my car is costing me, I'm trying to keep my living costs down. I Don't know how I'd manage to afford a gas cylinder this month so its fair to say I have been stingy with my heating. This involves a lot more layers and then usually hanging out in my bed where its warmer although this does inevitably lead to me napping. I have already had 3 naps this month and we are only 6 days in. 

So you can see why I might not be super enthused about January and I haven't even started my next round of nights yet (Monday the 15th...) which is bound to do little to improve my mood given that I am already tired all the damn time. 

I think I just need to get the month over with, pay for all my car stuff, get my night shifts over with and look forward to February with more daylight, more money and hopefully a bit more zest for life.

In the meanwhile if someone would care to kidnap me and deposit me at the gym where I am to be kept until I work off some of these wobbly bits then that would be superb. Maybe it's January blues, maybe its just ennui but whatever it is I am not loving it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..