Adventures for one

It seems like almost every day now as I log on to Facebook it seems to keen to remind me that on this day some time in the last four years that I went somewhere scenic with my ex. Given that I have unfriended him and updated my relationship status, I am unsure what algorithm decides this is content I want to see and yet there it is. Me standing somewhere scenic. Facebook doesn't show me doing all the driving on this outing or himself being a narky fecker because the dope didn't eat before we headed out. Anyway that's not my life anymore and I'm fine with that but I'm doing my very best to carve out some adventures for myself.

In many ways being single again is a very freeing experience and I like spending my time outside of work exactly how I want to but on another level there is an element of slight terror to it when you realise that you need to make your own adventures now and sometimes that involves pushing yourself outside your comfort zone.

With all of this in mind I decided to have a day trip by myself to Dungarvan for the final day of the West Waterford festival of food. Now given that I can't eat wheat, meat or sugar, I knew in advance that my food options there would not be amazing but the weather was good and it was in a pretty scenic part of the country so I knew it wouldn't be a wasted trip.

The journey there took me on a really scenic drive and I couldn't help but think how well the Comeraghs looked in the sun. I passed a group of people getting ready to go hiking and suddenly I was raging because I was wearing jeans and silly shoes and then as I arrived into town I wished I'd brought better clothes so I could have hired a bike and cycled part of the Greenway. Alas I hadn't so I made the most of the situation I was in .

I arrived into the square to find it absolutely teeming with people and suddenly I remembered I really dont like crowds. Too many voices, too much pushing but I explored anyway and was delighted to finally get something to eat but most excited to get some Badger and Dodo coffee and to discover a crowd called the hungry crow making delicious raw treats. If I'd known just how delicious they were going to be I'd definitely have bought more. Before leaving I stumbled upon a bird sanctuary displaying Owls and discovered I really love owls even though I almost didn't go close enough to see them because I'm not really a bird person.

Once I'd had enough of the crowds I escaped to Clonea strand for a lovely walk. I really do like to be beside the seaside. It was breezy but sunny and I was glad of the contrast after the bustle of the festival.

Then I decided my day trip wasn't quite finished and I stopped at Mahon falls on my walk home. I've been to this spot many times and it's always lovely but the last time I hadn't been alone so it was good to reclaim it as my own. I walked down to the base of the waterfall where I met a man walking his owl ( I can only assume this was somehow connected to the owl sanctuary in Dungarvan) and then I decided I wanted to get up onto the big flat rock half way up the mountain where I took this photo* see photo at top of blog post and paused to think about how much I enjoyed my trip out, my adventure for one.

Tonight I go on night duty for two weeks which is bound to take over but when I'm free again I am hoping to go on many more mini adventures and start making new and better memories

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..