One woman on holiday

I don't think I'd ever really been on holidays by myself before and I will admit to being a little bit concerned at the prospect. I had wanted to go away for a few days last year but my ex (then actual boyfriend) was a bit put out at the thought that I might go away without him (even though in truth it was mostly relationship related drama I needed a break from) and persuaded me to go away with him which went as well as you might imagine and we split up two weeks later.

So I was worried that I might be bored or lonely if away too long plus I still wanted to get in some training and I had an appointment I couldn't cancel on Thursday morning and then I decided I would have a mini break Thursday to Sunday. I had already cleared with my parents because they own the house I was staying in and I had to make sure they weren't going to be using it. 

As I discovered over the few days, I am actually very well equipped to travel alone and I had a lovely and relaxing time. I arrived down lateish Thursday afternoon, had lunch and a short walk to the beach near the house and then I got my stuff together and went out to Hook lighthouse to walk from the Lighthouse to Slade harbour across the cliffs and back to my car by road. It was lovely and peaceful, tourist presence was miminal on a Thursday. I returned home for food and a small bit of half watched tv before heading to bed with my book.

On Friday morning I woke to the sun peeping beneath the blind and that lovely feeling of being on holiday. My focus for the trip was to read lots, get in plenty of sunshine and walks and just chill out. I started off with a leisurely breakfast in the sunshine before taking my book and blanket down to Sandeel bay and finding a nice spot to sit and read until the hunger over came. I returned to the house to have lunch on the deck and finished my book. Once I gathered myself I drove into the village and abandoned (parked it safely) the car and set off walking. I took a stroll to the harbour and then found my way to Carnivan beach which is when I remembered it's the beach with all the sea glass and happily lost a few hours treasure hunting. I eventually dragged myself away from the beach to walk back to my car and then home for food, tv and snuggling up in bed at a reasonable hour.

On Saturday I decided I would head to the village early to have a look at the market but it wasn't up to much but then I ran into my aunt and uncle in the village and had coffee with them before deciding to walk to Grange beach without really knowing exactly how far from the village it was. I found a rock to lean against and sat reading for an hour before returning home for lunch and finished another book on the deck. After lunch I drove to Carnivan in search of sea glass. I was hooked. There is something very calming and satisfying about the pursuit for sea glass which really appeals to the introvert in me and I happily spent two hours filling my pockets with the treasures I found. I did eventually manage to drag myself away because I felt one visit to off the hook chipper in Duncannon was a mandatory part of my stay and I sat looking out to sea while I ate which I must say made it a much nicer experience. I went for a quick walk along the beach once I'd finished before flying over to Slade harbour. Probably not how everyone would choose to spend their Saturday night but I really wanted to see the lighthouse at sunset and it did not disappoint. Everything looked beautiful and I felt energized after walk number four of the day. After that I was only too happy to go home and sort through my many photos. 

Sunday was my last day so I was feeling a bit sad and a little bit sunburnt plus I had whacked my toe against a rock the previous day so I was all round a bit tender. Despite this I left my car in Fethard village and walked to Carnivan one last time in search of my last bits of sea glass. Its probably lucky I was not down there longer because I am sure I'd have cleared the beach of all sea glass eventually. I went with a hat on for my poor sore scalp, a tshirt to cover my burn and runners to protect my feet. I think it was probably as well it was my final day down there because I probably needed a break from all the sunshine, my poor Irish complexion couldn't handle it. The desire for coffee drove me back to the village a few hours later and I was really growing to like the leisurely pace of the day. I returned to the house for lunch and to pack up and clean up before visiting the Lighthouse one last time and started to feel a bit sad my holiday had come to an end. 

It was lovely really and it was just what I needed. It was a total break from work and the stress of my everyday life. I went down alone but as it turned out I wasn't lonely. I really enjoyed my own company and the reading and the walking and the collecting of sea glass. There was no pressure, I set the pace of each day and I could do as much or as little as I wished at any time. Now that I know how happily I can holiday alone, I can't wait to do it again 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..