Something has got to give

Hello, to anyone who has been a regular reader of my blog. I have not disappeared. I just haven't been able to come up with a blog topic that I haven't covered to death already so I just thought I'd write an update on where I have been at since I last wrote something.

I did a month of nights and if I'm honest that was actual hell. I have written so many posts around sleep deprivation that even I could have strung a sentence together during that time, I doubt I would have anything interesting to add on the topic. However this time around I did take up yoga and re took up meditation while on nights and I'm still going so that's a bonus (on top of the not dying from exhaustion) and I also happened to read a book called why we sleep which honestly scared me. I've always gotten a bit freaked by how little sleep I manage on nights so having the science to back up how much harm its doing was not particularly reassuring. Ultimately I think it was a good thing because since then I have been working hard to improve my sleep with mostly good results. so yes my life has been very exciting of late, thanks for asking.

The other thing that is new for me is I traded in my fitbit for a fancier fitness tracker called a whoop strap. I appreciate it sounds dodgy AF but its essentially a tracker with with no screen which gives you far detailed analysis of your sleep, how your body is performing during different activities and an insight into what non active things are putting your body under pressure. Apparently collecting seaglass makes my heart rate go a bit cray and also the harder days in work have a similar effect without the same kind of excitement. Needless to say the nerd in me is loving it. 

So the last few weeks I have been a lot of stress and I know because I can see it happening in real time. In hindsight while the whoop is probably leading to me mostly making better lifestyle choices based on the feedback its giving me, also worth noting that giving an anxious woman a device that tells her exactly when she is feeling anxious is kinda like pouring petrol on a fire.

So I'm just doing what I normally do which is freaking out a little about my stress levels (super helpful btw) and stress eating (but not in a crazy way) and then taking time out to breathe (while drinking 500 cups of relax tea wondering when I will be relaxed) and doing my yoga and meditation and trying to fix everything by getting better sleep.

But I will say I have reached a point where it doesn't feel good. I have been riding on a wave of anxiety/stress for a few weeks now and I can't say I am enjoying it. I have the weekend off so Im heading upstairs to do my pre bed time yoga and try and get a few decent hours sleep before I get up at stupid o clock in the morning to head to Dublin for Wellfest. 

If you haven't heard of it, its a two day festival on in kilmainham and its all Health and fitness based events and talks. I have bought a new yoga mat in anticipation. Also planning to do to some Trx and other workouts but I reckon I will give the spinning and dance based ones a miss as life is too damn short.
Anyway Im hoping this will give me the chance to recharge my batteries and get my head in order and I'll head into next week ready to kick some ass or at least with a better idea of what I can do get me feeling more like my old self again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..