going solo


In just a few days I will be heading off on my next adventure.  I will be off to re explore Lausanne, Switzerland. I say re-explore as I lived there for the best part of a year 17 years ago. I was the epitome of young, dumb and broke or a jeune fille au pair (my official job description). It was a stunning city but a lot of the beauty was wasted on me as I grappled to find myself and to cope in a city where I knew no one. So now I am finally heading back to see it with fresh eyes as someone who now relishes the thought of travelling solo.

The thing I am most likely to be asked about my upcoming trip is who am I going with and when I answer alone (usually this is followed by a slightly awkward silence ) and then they ask am I meeting people over there (Nope) as though going by myself isn't something I am likely to do deliberately.
The only awkward thing about paving my own way is trying to explain to people that its a choice and I am more than happy to be rediscovering myself as the awesome company that I am.

I got very comfortable when I was in my last relationship and bought into the comfort of having someone to make my plans with even the notion that I needed that person for the plans to happen at all but a bit of  distance and quality time in my own company has made me realise that I am more than capable of running my own life but travelling my own way is costing me less both in terms of stress and also cold hard cash.

It makes me realise that if I can do this by myself and not give a damn that I can probably do anything I damn well please. I may even take over the world, right after  I have a restorative nap.

When I first moved to Kilkenny I was nervous of my own company and hung in a kind of limbo, with no solid plans as I waited patiently for someone to give me permission to just live my damn life how I liked  and then I took a leap of faith and borrowed my parents holiday place in Wexford for a long weekend and spent a glorious few days doing what I liked best. It was very chilled with lots of walks, sea air and reading. From there I realised I could be doing so much more.

A few months later I took myself to Glendalough and had a great time basking in the outdoors and then soon after I finally renewed my passport and started making bigger plans. Earlier this year I took myself to Edinburgh and had a lovely time. Earlier this month I went to a fitness festival by myself and had a great time. I was nearly more nervous about that than I was about travelling.

So now I am not sure what I will get up to next but if you follow me on any form of social media you'll surely know as soon as I decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..