A French restaurant with a difference

You may have seen my previous blog posts on traumatic experiences in French Restaurants. Okay maybe no traumatic per se but revolving around me paying a ludicrous amount of money for the only vegetarian option available and then finding it to be a lot less than delicious. Before you pull up a chair and think that you are about to see me eat my own hat ,figuratively speaking, I am not. I still believe the majority of French restaurants are not particularly vegetarian friendly but it is unfair to lump them in together.

One exception to this rule is L'Atmosphere on Henrietta Street in Waterford. Now chances are they are not the only restaurant that happens to both cater to vegetarians and also not spit in my food simply because I enquired about vegetarian options but in my dining experience thus far they are the first that I can come away and say positive things about.

It was one of those places I found somewhat intimidating and so had never so much as peeped inside the door but then last year I was given vouchers for the restaurant and sure if a free meal isn't a good excuse to try a place out then I don't know what is. The restaurant true to its name has a cosy interior and lovely atmosphere to it. The walls are lined with works of art for sale. The whole place has an authentic French feel which is probably because the owners, Arnaud and Patrice,  are French, as their names suggest.


The first time we went, with the intent of using our vouchers, we were going for their €20 menu and I was concerned about the options available to me. As a vegetarian with a gluten intolerance, this is a valid concern when eating out. No one wants to feel shoe horned into ordering a dish because that's the only one they will give you. Luckily,I needn't have worried. The staff were more than accommodating and while our set menu only allowed for certain options, I was allowed to customise my three courses rather than being restricted to the items listed.

Its been so long now that I honestly don't remember what I had for a starter but for my main course I had this Mediterranean tangine that came in a large domed dish and a bowl of cous cous which I spooned into it. It wasn't something I had ever eaten before but it was really lovely. Despite my other dining experiences I did come away from L'Atmosphere feeling pretty positive about it.

This weekend we decided to go out for dinner because I had been working a lot and it seemed like a nice idea. I let my boyfriend choose and L'Atmosphere was his choice because he had greatly enjoyed his meal the last time we were there. I was happy enough to go a long but had decided I would only get a main. I prefer that to three courses. After our last visit I picked the tangine again because it had occurred to me that the dish might have changed at all. Stephen opted for three courses and had a risotto pasta, duck and an apple tart. 
I got my tangine and quickly realised it was not the same dish because it was far spicier. It turns out I do not get on well with even mildly spicey food. My whole mouth was too hot so sadly I didn't get to eat as much as I would have liked.  Stephen absolutely devoured his courses and judging by his smile afterwards (which wasn't just amusement at me trying to eat spicy food) he was happy with it all.

The serving staff very absolutely lovely and very courteous while managing not to do that really annoying thing of approaching while you are mid chew to ask how the food is. 

I will know better for next time. As pictured below they actually have an entire vegetarian menu. This is only valid for May so next month they may have different options and I'll know to ask for the one that isn't spicy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..