A beginners guide to cohabitation

Last week myself and the boyfriend moved in together which is kind of a big deal. I know I have said this before but I hate moving, its so much hassle and stress and I do not handle stress well. But we managed to move all of our stuff in four trips (in my tiny car) and no one got hurt in the process. It went easier than my last move because we didn't need to drag everything up three flights of stairs, yay for the lift but by the time we were done I was fit to fall over. Not to mention the fact that once I had dropped off the million bags and boxes ( a slight exaggeration) I had to return to my old apartment and try and make the place look presentable. I was content to move some boxes around and half unpack before making the bed and falling into it.

Then on Tuesday I found my clothes and tried to find suitable homes for them and then went on a bit of a rampage in town buying essentials like a big spotty kitchen bin and a ladybird patterned dish scrubber plus some things we really did need and I may have shoved things in cupboards promising to deal with them later. Early Wednesday morning I went right back to work without the chance to really get used to the place or settle in. 

Living with Stephen so far is fine but its strange getting used to the new place. I only actually organised all my stuff today and I am sure by midweek I will be back shoving things in my wardrobe and having to exercise caution when I open the door lest I bring a clothes avalanche upon myself but for today I am pleased with my organisational skills. Its bigger and brighter and easier to clean than the old place and overall its a nicer space but I am still adjusting and its not yet home.

I still don't have a parking space so I have to get inventive when I am home during the day until I sort a permit. Our washing machine is also a dryer and I have yet to work out how to wash clothes without also drying them and it took me three days to master the art of getting hot water for a shower. Trust me washing your hair over the bath with a jug is not the same. Over time I will get used to the little quirks and it will start to feel like our place and maybe I will also surpress the urge to go mad in Tkmaxx homewares like today when I found myself contemplating a €34 cutlery set and if I don't I know that next time I find myself moving it will be twice as much fun. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..