The great big housing crisis (sort of)


With all the working (and not much else) that I have been doing lately, I have been a most neglectful blogger and if there's anyone out there who enjoys my blogs then I'm sorry for that but I'm back now. In this weeks exciting news my boyfriend and I are moving in together. I have lived with someone I was going out once before and it was an unmitigated disaster and it kind of put me off the idea. I am fed up of sharing with strangers and we have been together long enough that it doesn't seem entirely ludicrous that we might live together. 


We have been talking about it for a few months and then weeks ago we started looking at places and gave our notice on our current apartments. We actually only viewed one house that wasn't officially on the renting market just yet and  decided it was the one for us. It was a nice bright space with a lovely big garden so were sold on it, no need to look at anywhere else. We would be dealing with the landlady direct and with two weeks to the big move we were all set to meet her to sign the papers when late on Sunday night we get an email letting us know she has decided to give the property to someone paying more money and best of luck with the house search. I went into work on Monday very stressed not knowing if we would find somewhere in time. I had himself at home on his day off looking up potential places we might live. 

We wanted a house but I soon discovered that nice houses in Waterford are like hens teeth. They were all full of chintz furniture or for students and the odd one or two that I could visualise myself actually living in were either taken or way way outside our budget. On Tuesday I made many calls and one or two visits to estate agents and ended up with two viewing lined up for this morning, both apartments.

Upon thinking we both agreed a nice apartment was better than a house with cement square that we could pretend was really a garden. Funnily enough one of the places was around the corner from where I live now and the other was only over the road from Stephen's apartment. The first one we saw was the cheaper of the two. A two bed apartment with a nice big balcony, bright airy rooms and good lighting. I left liking it but undecided because the photos of the other place were pretty nice. Our next viewing was for a three bedroom apartment that was in the middle of being newly refitted. The shower looked pretty awesome and all the appliances were brand new and integrated but even in the sun the place was a bit dim, the space was small and it was still missing a bit of furniture so it was hard to get a good sense of the place plus it was €100 more a month. 

I did want to do up a pro/ con list because that's the sort of nerd I am but instead we just talked about it like normal adults and decided apartment no 1 was the winner. Then Stephen tortured me with pictures of lovely houses miles outside our budget on Daft. This afternoon we put down a deposit but I probably wont fully relax until we sign the lease. Its less than two weeks until the move date and for now the panic is over and at least I know I wont be homeless. So now on to the next thing to stress about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..