A hassle free guide to eating out

With a not exactly overflowing social calendar at the moment, I have been telling the boyfriend we can go eat out some time soon. He was in the mood for pizza but there are two problems with pizza, one being that I always eat it much too quickly so not exactly a lengthy romantic meal out and the second is that I can't eat wheat. I should probably stress that the second bit is usually the most troubling for me, as you can imagine it some what limits my pizza eating capabilities. We usually head to a Milanos whenever we are in a city with one as its a chain that does a great gluten free pizza but sadly Waterford does not have one. I have eaten out in an Italian restaurant here that does a pretty decent gluten free pizza but they only make the bases on demand so you have to give them a days notice if you are going to be ordering one and quite frankly I don't always know that far in advance that I want pizza. 

Burzza Restaurant opened in Waterford less than a year ago and caught the attention of many people with their funky decor and very stylish menu. I remember eating out there shortly after they opened and getting a very tasty falafel burger (sans bun) and looking enviously at the pizzas of those around me. A few months later they have delivered on their promise of offering a gluten free pizza. It's one of those things that not all restaurants do because to be fair making a gluten free base is pretty hard. Or at least making an edible one is. Gluten is fairly important ingredient that gives breads and pizzas that lovely texture and you only realise how essential it is when your stupid body starts to reject it and you are forced to go from delicious to gluten free. If someone ever comes up with a recipe for a gluten free pizza base that's indistinguishable from a regular pizza base then I will probably accuse them of witchcraft or marry them. So my boyfriend has been asking me to eat in Burzza again for a while now but I have been holding out until I can eat a pizza of my own, it is too cruel to sit watching him devour one while I eat whatever other lovely (but not pizza) food I can order instead. 

You might have guessed where this is going, we finally booked a table last night. We didn't want to eat too late as I would be starving or too early because we would have so much evening left but Saturday night is a fairly busy night to eat out there so we settled for a 6.30 booking. I ordered my gluten free margherita plus fries and my boyfriend got a million different toppings on his. He suggested we eat them at a more reasonable pace than we normally do. I told him he was welcome to take his time with the pizza but I don't enjoy it cold so I was going to horse through mine like usual. Either he forgot his suggestion or got carried away with the deliciousness of it because we were both finished so quickly I was a little embarrassed. I swear we don't eat all meals that fast. The restaurant pretty busy while we were there but the service was good and efficient. My pizza was lovely, I only wish I had taken more time to savour it and my fries probably would have been nicer had himself not kept stealing them on me. I'm sure we will be back again soon and I feel happier knowing good gluten free pizza is available whenever I ahem 'need' it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..