Romantic Getaways -not for the faint of heart

As the date of our second anniversary looms, myself and my significant other have talked about the possibility of going away for a few days. I got asked to mind my nieces for a few days and like a lovely auntie I accepted so we said we would head off for a mid week break just before that. Because of my new job and fluctuating hours I haven't been on a proper holiday this year, in fact anything more than a long weekend away would be unusual so we got rather excited talking about where we might go. We had been talking about Berlin but when it came down to it we went with the cheapest flight, getting away was more important than the actual destination. When looking on skyscanner (it finds the cheapest flights by searching all airlines and travel sites for deals) it seemed Brussels was going to be cheapest. We had both been to Belgium before, myself and on a boozy college trip that was supposed to be educational and himself on a lads holiday but there was still much we had not seen and explored. 

Anyway this afternoon upon receipt of my wage slip (so I knew how much cash I actually had to book it) I set myself up on my computer to go get myself a holiday. It turned out to be a more complicated process than I had anticipated. I thought give or take 10-15 mins and I'd have our little getaway booked nice and cheap and then I could relax and look forward to it and maybe start looking up things to do and see in Belgium.I think perhaps I get stressed too easily and that probably doesn't help but I had also foolishly asked the boyfriend to sit in with me so I could ask his opinion re flight times and places to stay. He was too preoccupied with his phone to pay very much attention only pausing every few minutes to tell me to stop getting so wound up. I was trying to calculate flight prices but to do that you need to complete a million forms (or at least it feels like that many) and tick all of the boxes before they will give you a final price. I had another tab open with bus times while I tried to calculate how the hell we were getting to the airport and yet another to scope out accommodation that was half way decent. I almost gave up but I've already booked the time off work and if I didn't book a holiday today then we would probably sit around glowering at each other during my four days off. 

After much deliberating I thought I had found accommodation that was quirky but affordable and was just about to book us on an aer lingus flight that I thought was our cheapest option but it seems I had spent so long mulling it over that it went and timed out on me. When I refreshed the site I realised the flights were not in price order and I had missed all of the cheaper Ryanair ones the last time around. I booked one of those and made sure to book myself a bag travelling both ways (after last years Edinburgh debacle). That done I booked us some accommodation and paid a deposit to hold the room. 

So yay we have a holiday booked and I feel like I deserve one after the stress of booking a holiday alone. Its not until the end of October so that gives me plenty of time to put together and laminate an itinerary (I'm kidding). No, it will give me some time to get some spending money together and research things to do in Belgium when you can't have the chocolate, waffles or beer. I hope I don't come away with a very short list. Then I can sit back, relax and look forward to arguing with himself about directions in another country rather than at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..