Hooked- confessions of a sugar addict


Lots of people will readily admit they overeat sugar and chances are those people will probably think they are going to identify with this post. Chances are you are probably wrong on that score because my relationship with sugar is rather unique.

For me sugar doesn't just make me gain weight, it also leaves me feeling a little emotionally unstable plus I get really ill when I eat lots of it. Without boring you with all the details I have a little something called a candida overgrowth (its a bacteria that grows in everyones' gut but I have too much of it, yay me) and its fed by my dear friends sugar, wheat and dairy which means a whole load of beautiful digestive symptoms when I over indulge.

Now to complicate this matter further I can't see to do the whole thing with moderation when it comes to sugar. It is clear  I have an addictive personality so its just pure luck that I am too sensible for gambling or hard drugs. I have been battling with my sugar problem for about 3/4 years now since the first time I cut it out completely. Somehow eliminating sugar fully from my diet changed how my body reacted to it in a big way and when I first fell off the wagon, I fell hard. Since then I have had this whole illicit love affair with sugar or binges as they probably be called for weeks and sometimes months at a time until I start to see sense and reel myself back in.

This time around its been about 3 weeks. I changed jobs and stopped going to the gym for a while and then three weeks ago I found myself buying one sweet thing in a shop and boom just like that I was in binge mode.  Eating share size bags of m and m's in one sitting and not even enjoying the first one. Feeling sick from the sweetness, sad and depleted from the sugar overload and that's not to mention veering between constipation and diarrhoea, belching and flatulence.
It sounds crazy once I write it down but my battle with sugar continues. I was feeling it was getting out of hand so I got myself back into the gym and my poor liver didn't know what hit it. I thought I was going to die, I was so sick my first class but I didn't. I gave myself an end date for this sugary madness which is today and tomorrow I will turn over a new leaf and be in full detox mode.

I usually get hooked on something different each time I go sugar mad and this time it was cornflakes. I got through almost three boxes this week, discovered that they make me more sick than anything else. Last night I was violently ill from cornflakes or just generally too much sugar so at this rate I am almost looking forward to eating better.

From tomorrow the real fun will begin, I can look forward to sugar cravings and my blood sugar dropping so I find it hard to focus until I finally get a chance to eat. The brain fog may last up to a week so I will find it really hard to think clearly and I imagine I will only be a great help in work.
Once I get through all the awful stuff I will have more energy and better skin and I'll sleep better.
And maybe one of these days I'll work out how to quit sugar properly and for good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..