Sounds From The Harbour

Yesterday was one of those rare treats, the sun was shining and I found myself heading out to Cheekpoint to see bands play on a boat. Its not everyday you find yourself saying that or if it is then you clearly lead a more exciting life than me.
The gig didn't start until 7 and I arrived in Cheekpoint just in time to see the boat making its way into the harbour. At this stage I was a little lost due to my appalling sense of direction and while I could see the harbour from the hill I was perched on, it took me just a little while longer to actually find the road that brought me to it. I was down in time to see the boat arrive and a crowd begin to gather. 

Away With The Fairies were the first to play. They are an incredibly talented trad band that most people in Waterford are already familiar with and the lads have a diverse range of talents including acting and songwriting among them as well as obviously being able to sing and play a variety of instruments.
Watching them perform on The Brian Boru ( the boat /stage) I began to think that perhaps all their gigs should be played on boats. I was mentally preparing my pitch to the band when it occurred to me that perhaps the novelty might wear off and also the Irish weather is an unpredictable beast. We were lucky to get the weather we did on the day and watching a band perform on a boat in the rain would be considerably less exciting for all involved. The lads played a fantastic set as always and I'm sure they will go on play many more just like it if Lorcan doesn't give it all up to live a life on the high seas.

The second band onboard the boat were Backroad Smokers Club (minus their keyboard player who was a victim of employment on the night ). Backroad Smokers Club have a totally different sound (funk, rock, psychedelic )but yet it worked really well on the boat. Its great to see such creativity applied to the choice of venue because anyone can arrange for a band to play in a bar but seeing them play on The Brian Boru was real treat. The band is one of my favourites in Waterford, which in itself is a hub of talent, and at this stage I think I know most of their songs but I do try to refrain from audibly singing along. I'm sure they would appreciate this of they ever had the misfortune to hear me sing.

It turned out to be a great night with sun only starting to go in as the Brian Boru set sail again. I left as the crowd was dispersing, feeling the buzz you only get from a magical night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..