Crybaby

I've always been emotional. Just ask one of my siblings for their many examples of how easy it was to reduce me to tears as a child. It's one of those delightful qualities that seems to have followed me into adulthood. Yay for that. I don't half ass emotional states, when I feel something I go all in.

This has mostly not turned out to be a good thing. I also tend to soak up the emotions of those around me like a sponge which can be somewhat exhausting. It does make me quite adept at taking the emotional temperature of a room but otherwise not all that helpful as skills go.

Something I have noticed in recent years is my incredibly powerful emotional reactions to things on tv, in movies and books. It's something I found myself dwelling on just tonight when I found myself actually bawling my eyes out watching 'Me before you'. I wont tell you anything that will give away key plot points only that it's very sad and yet somehow reading the book did not prepare me for how upset I would get at the ending. I found myself thinking that if my boyfriend had arrived home at that point he would surely think I had received some terrible news and not just become overly emotionally invested in the lives of a fictional character. I wouldn't even put this down to exceptional writing because in times gone by I have cried at much lesser things.

This is not the first movie to make me cry and I am certain it wont be the last. On previous occasions I have had to put down books because I am getting too upset to continue. In fact there has also been many occasions where I have gotten so wrapped up in the lives of these fictional characters that I can not pick up another book for a few days. I do tend to read quite intensely which can make it difficult to flit from one book to the next especially when your mind is still reeling with all of the unanswered questions.

I suppose in a way the reason women are more likely to seek out films/books/tv shows that will make us teary is that crying can be cathartic, its never good to let all that emotion build up. Not that there's much danger of that with me. All it takes it a particularly moving advert and Ill be muttering about something in my eyes as my boyfriend looks on worriedly. 
I have just about recovered from watching that film but I'll probably need to watch something light before bed to ensure I am not too sad to sleep and yes I don't care if that's not exactly normal. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..