Home alone


In the early hours of this morning my other half peeled himself from the bed and headed out the door with a suitcase in hand. As he faces into the prospect of a holiday on an island off Denmark, I have the apartment to myself and I am not sure how I feel about that. I do happen to be one of those people that actually likes spending some time by myself, after a while without it I start to crave my own company but it seems to me there is a difference in choosing it for yourself and having it thrust upon you.

I have been dating my boyfriend now for almost three years, living together just over a year and during this time we have never spent this long (he gets back on Monday) apart. I think I am feeling a little sorry for myself because I only grabbed a few hours sleep last night and I find sleep deprivation always drags my mood down. I am sure once I adjust to the emptiness of our place I will probably start to enjoy pottering around in silence. 

I remember before I moved in with himself, what I really wanted was to live by myself again but my finances said otherwise. I had lived alone before and even though I did become a part time hermit, I liked it. I liked everything being exactly where I left it and stretching out in the bed by myself. I got to use my bathroom whenever I wished and cook without anyone getting in my way. I could lie in bed or on the couch reading a book in one sitting if I so wished.

I will be working most of the weekend which wont leave me with too much time to miss him, at least I hope that will be the case. I am looking forward to the few nights uninterrupted sleep ( he never falls asleep when I do and often his restlessness wakes me) and being a starfish in our bed. I am actively anticipating getting in from work and not having to converse with anyone, just winding down with my book or the tv and then falling into bed at a ridiculously early hour even if it is a weekend. 

And while all this is going on I will still be missing him a little and looking forward to when I am no longer home alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..