Here comes the night.

You know you're not really a night person when you find yourself preparing for a night shift as though you're going into battle. In a way I am because I usually get restless legs and an inability to focus around 11pm and I have to give up the good fight and put myself to bed. Except of course when working a night shift as that sort of practice is frowned upon in work.

I agreed two nights for a colleague as a favour. Those nights being tonight and tomorrow night and she in turn will cover two of my days but this unfortunately meant I only had today as a break from working all weekend before launching in to them. I haven't worked a night since the month I did over Christmas and I think I have just about recovered from that.

I have spent most of the day mentally readying myself. I tried to have a lie in but my body clock was having none of it. I bought extra food so my poor sleep deprived brain wouldn't have to face the outdoors tomorrow day time. I have downloaded games to my phone, packed a notebook to doodle in, Put aside food to eat. A snack for tonight and breakfast for tomorrow morning. I even sort of managed a mini nap. I even cut back my caffeine intake all weekend in the hopes of the coffee I have just before I head to work being extra effective. I was drinking loads of coffee the last time I did nights but other making me hyper for the first few hours, it didn't really help and I am pretty certain it was hampering my sleep the next day.

I have done as much as I can do to ready myself. All that is left now is to cook my dinner, brew my coffee and read my book while my brain is still able to read because it wont be over the next few days. And soon I will be putting on my work clothes and bidding farewell to my bed and my boyfriend.

My survival plan for the night shift is in a canvas bag and in the intention to keep as busy as my body will allow in the hopes of keeping the exhaustion at bay for as long as possible. Soon enough I might be doing nights on a more regular basis so I suppose I should appreciate the short practice run. Here comes the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..