The last great procrastinator

Right now my brain is like mush and I am stress eating to beat the band. If you are wondering what exactly has me in this state then sit yourself down and I will try and give you the short version.
A few months ago I was offered a position on the social care panel at work. Not totally out of the blue given that I had applied for it and interviewed for it and the whole shebang. At the same time I was asked to a short course on management and I thought why not, future planner that I am. When I turned up at the course I realised it came with a QQI 6( the new fetac ) award and I thought great, that will look lovely on my CV. We got details of the assignments we would complete at the end but I decided not to worry about those because really it was ages away. After two days of the course we had 6 weeks of online learning and that was fine. I completed my learner record as I went along like a good little student. Then we had the last day (Mid April) and we went through the assignments in detail but we were told they didn't have to be until May 26th I had been a bit panicked about what I could possibly write for the main assignment but I had a eureka moment on the final day and that lifted a weight off my shoulders. . So naturally, once  day 3 was over, I brought the folder home and squeezed it on to my bookshelf and that's where it remained.

As each day off ticked by and I didn't open the folder ( opting instead to nap, read or watch bad tv). I knew something had to be done. At this point I maybe regretted doing the course but I knew I would be in for some hassle in work if I turned in no assignments.  Being ever so forward thinking I booked a few days off work and designated them my time to do assignments. This meant I did not give the assignments a second thought until those days off rolled round.

So here I am. On this glorious week off and the clock is ticking ever so ominously. Day one was Monday gone, a day of torrential rain and not much else. I got out of bed early with great intentions and began researching my assignments. I got maybe two hours done before my boyfriend suggested we go to the shop and then never returned to my computer. I did eat snacks, read books and watch bad tv but I did not type so much as a single word.

Roll on day two. Yesterday. My boyfriend (who works from home) went out to a meeting earlyish yesterday  and so I was left with no excuse or interruptions. after hoovering the apartment, baking bread and having breakfast I got to work. I managed to throw together a rough draft of assignment no 2 which was the big one. This took me about 6 hours which were punctuated with frequent checks of my phone, facebook, my email and of course the word count. I had the attention span of a gnat. Apparently after some time with not a whole lot of use in the academic sector, my brain has gotten pretty damn rusty. In good news I have a draft completed. In bad news I am not certain this draft is in any form of coherent English and I kind of forgot to eat a meal while stuck to my computer. The next step will be to re read and totally deconstruct said assignment until it resembles something like what is actually required for me to pass. For now though I will be content with having 1500 words of something written.

This brings us to today. My poor frazzled brain is worn out. Before getting started this morning I first woke up early only to fall back asleep and then woke up cranky and reluctant to get out of bed. I was not a joyous sight to behold. Then I took some time to wake up and prepare food before getting started. naturally I also needed to properly clean the kitchen before I could start work. It was safe to say I did my best to put off doing anything resembling work. When I could avoid it no longer I made a start on assignment 3. It took me quite some time to get anything written given how easily distracted I was. In college I studied using energy drinks to keep me going and I wasn't as twitchy then as I was today.If I had just managed to keep myself off social media then it is safe to say I would have finished this hours ago. So I did manage to cobble together a few paragraphs and then spent a ridiculous amount of time researching theories of motivation online. It did seem ironic given how unmotivated I was by the task at hand. It was then I decided I needed a much needed break and accidentally put work on hold for two hours. Reluctantly I dragged myself back to the computer and finished something that resembled the last assignment. It definitely had words and sentences but after that I am not sure if there will be much worth rescuing from my last two days work.

Tomorrow I will need to get up brighter and earlier than I have so far this week and actually do something more productive like a serious overhaul on the work I have done so far if I am to have any hope of enjoying my last few days off but given my current streak I am not sure how much hope I would hold out for that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..