Sleeping in the New Year

New year's Eve is one of those nights that seems to promise so much that it can never really live up to all of your expectations. I can categorically say I have never had a New Years Eve out that didn't turn out to be a massive disappointment. This New Years Eve for me was a kind of special one as it marks four years since I stopped drinking. To be fair I can't say I've looked back. I mean sure I am definitely less sociable and I have taken the social awkwardness up a notch but I haven't actively wanted a drink in that time. I think its fair to say that if give up any unhealthy substance with the kind of ease that most people give up their least favourite vegetable then you have probably made the right move.

I celebrated New Years in the same vein I celebrated most of Christmas, quietly and unnoticed by all those bringing the party to this so called party season. To say I infact celebrated New Years is slightly misleading because I was mostly celebrating that it was Monday and that meant I had just finished a weekend of night shifts and exhausted did not even begin to cover it. While other people were formulating plans for exciting nights out or a chilled out evening in and I was just planning to sleep. To be fair by the time I got home on Monday morning, I only had a vague idea of what day it was.

I managed to get just over two hours sleep during the day when the desire for snacks propelled me into town and so I was fed and propped in bed with a book by 6 pm. I was asleep before 9 and woke up this morning having missed New Year but having had 10 hours sleep so I had no regrets. Starting the year as I mean to go on, well rested.  

I had a lazy morning reading in bed and then dragged myself to Dunmore for a walk by the sea and I can honestly say its the nicest New Years Day I have had to date.

I haven't even sat down to write a list of resolutions because honestly I'm not sure how much I'd even need to change. This will the year I'll get fitter and stronger and even more of a badass if that's possible. This will be the year I'll take myself on more adventures and other than that I'll just keep doing what I was doing last year. New year but really its just the same me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..