The single chronicles

I have had so many entertaining encounters ( mainly on the inter web) during the last 18 months or so of singledom that I could probably write a reasonably entertaining book if I put my mind to it. However this particular post isn't about those, bear with me and you'll see.

One of the weird and annoying things I find men online are constantly saying to me is how am I still single. I've been single before and I don't remember being asked this question with this kind of frequency. Now I'm probably in the best shape of my life at the moment so perhaps that is a contributing factor. What annoys me so much about this question is the unspoken assumption that because a guy finds me attractive that I should have been snapped already. As though every single woman is desperately longing to be someone's other half and the only reason you wouldnt be is that no one would want to go out with you. Now perhaps captain subtext has lost the run of himself here and I am reading far too much between the lines. The thing is I find it odd that no one bothers to consider the idea that I might in fact be single by choice. Single life is definitely not the worst, I still enjoy doing what I want when I want and having a double bed all to myself among other things. 

The other thing that bothers me is the notion that because some guys find me attractive that automatically means I'm some kind of catch. To the question,  why am I single? Well how long do you have ? Would you prefer the list of reasons in alphabetical or chronological order?
Like many adult women,  I come equipped with emotional baggage .I'd say I have enough that I could comfortably cart it around in monogrammed suitcases. A combination of some shitty life experiences and some really poor relationship decisions have made their mark. In some ways this has help me map out what I don't want in future relationships but it's also made me wary and perhaps a little distrustful. I must say men seem to love it when a woman is constantly suspicious of their motives (if the sarcasm here is not immediately apparent then I apologise).

This story however needn't have an unhappy ending. I've been doing some work on myself in the interim between my last relationship and my next. Hopefully by the time I next stumble into some form of commitment I'll have found somewhere safe to park some of my baggage but for right now I'm happily single by choice 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..