The joy of Christmas presents

I'm known as the member of my family who is a bit of a big kid when it comes to Christmas. Mind you I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'd say it's fair to describe me as childlike in that I haven't let go of some of the more pleasant attributes of my younger self ( very different from childish). I like the lights and decorations and how excited kids get about the whole thing and the whole family getting together for the day. 

I remember a good few years ago not being granted the annual leave I'd applied for over Christmas bso I could get a good few days off together and being very upset. Then I went on to work in social care and this will the third year since I started in this line of work that I'll be working Christmas day and I do laugh at my younger self who didn't know how good she had it.

I'll be trying my best to make the most of Christmas on the days I am off. Watching Christmas movies, listening to Christmas songs and reading anyone who will sit still long enough my favorite Christmas story, The night before Christmas.

My favorite part of Christmas isn't the presents I'll be getting but buying ones for other people. In my family, in recent years, we've cut back on buying presents with the introduction of a sort of Kriskindle. Everyone knows who's buying for them and we
 Often exchange lists to point said person in the right direction and there is a budget that we sort of stick to. My mum swears this is definitely the last year she will be ignoring that directive and buying presents for everyone while commenting that Kris Kindle isn't actually any cheaper but that remains to be seen.

The trouble is that while this is great from a budget point of view, when you really like shopping for other people it's a very short shopping trip with only one person on your list. I tend to start inventing people to shop for. My brother has a December birthday so he usually gets that gift at Christmas, I get something for my other sister ( but I do in secret as I'm not supposed to). I normally buy my parents something small and obviously when I'm dating someone they get a gift or two. 

I often run out of people to buy for before I'm ready to be done Christmas shopping which I appreciate is a real first world problem. The other thing I find hard about Christmas presents is not telling someone about the thing I bought for them. I try my best to be thoughtful with Christmas presents and occasionally when I feel I've done well I struggle to not at least drop a hint about what I might have bought someone. 

To break up the bleakness that is night duty, I've planned a day trip to Cork this week with my sister. A potentially dangerous outting as it will fall between night duties and tired Laura has no impulse control plus will have just been paid. To top that my Christmas shopping is mostly done so I'll trying not to over do it by buying lots more stuff for my very short list and instead maybe buying a present for me. I'll have to work this Christmas day so I'm pretty sure I deserve it 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..