The Fitness Holiday

If you are hoping for a blog post detailing one of those holiday packages where you are whisked to some sunny location to do Crossfit/other athletic activity then you are about to be incredibly disappointed. The fitness holiday I am referring to is the one I have taken from Crossfit and by that I mean I haven't exercised since the end of January and I guess I thought it was a better title than getting fat.

The reason for this so called holiday is very simple. I used to go home on my days off and pop into my sisters gym for Crossfit classes and  then I got this new job in social care and my hours are less structured so I haven't really been home at all. Given that I have a kettlebell at home and a working knowledge of many weighted and body weight exercises, technically speaking this shouldn't have thrown me too far off the fitness path but that is forgetting the fact that I am incredibly lazy when left to my own devices. At first it wasn't too bad because I wasn't working out but my diet was fairly okay so while I wasn't getting fitter, I wasn't getting fatter either. Then I rediscovered sugar and it's all gone downhill from there. I keep telling myself I'll stop but it seems like the sugar is addicted to me and it wont let me. Okay fine so that bit was a lie. I am somewhat lacking in willpower plus since I started working nights last month I haven't really recovered, I am just tired and run down and wanting sugar and coffee on tap. As you can imagine this isn't going anywhere good as my crappy diet is making me more tired and quite sick, not to mention the lovely things its doing to my face and waistline (that's where the weight goes first for me).

This is the bit where I start making a plan to do something and then hopefully follow it through before I start having to buy bigger and stretchier pants. I promised myself that I would look into fitness classes when my finances even out and it looks like I should be getting back payment from the social welfare for the first few weeks where I had 20 hours or less. I will be using that to pay bills even if that's really boring but that frees up some of my wages for me to pay someone to shout at me until I do some exercise. To prepare myself for this eventuality ( of regular exercise and not dying as a result) I have been trying to get myself into the right mindset but it appears I have done great/terrible (depending on how you look at it) work in the weeks since I last had a proper workout so I have a long way to go.

So far this has amounted to going on walk that ended in Ardkeen stores where I then bought chocolate, running (away from a cat that was following me) and then feeling a bit ill but in my defence running was never my favourite and looking at fitness stuff on pinterest while eating  a crunchie. I did find a Burpee challenge for March which caught my eye while doing this so it wasn't a completely wasted endeavour and got it into my head that I should do it. Given that I have done challenges involving lots of burpees at other points in time and not died, all evidence would suggest that I am able for it but I think I might have been a little too enthusiastic. The challenge is actually pretty simple on the first of March you do one burpee, on the second you do two and so on as the month goes on. The only thing was I started on the 11th so yesterday I did 54. I regretted the chocolate I'd eaten earlier that day when I started feeling sick and dizzy and yet I completed them. This morning I woke up and my whole body hurt. It's kind of embarrassing when I consider how tough a workout I'd have had to complete in the past to get that but it's a start. 

So my fitness holiday is coming to an end. I will be taking baby steps as I gradually ease myself back into it as though I am tricking my body into getting healthier. Easing out the sugar, a tonic and ginseng tablets for my energy levels (plus coffee ) and exercising until a few burpees no longer hurts me. At least that's the plan. Sure what fun would it be if I got it right the first (more like 50th at this stage) time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..