Hello Money, Goodbye plans

It looks like in the near future I will be going from being ridiculously broke to actually having money as my hours catch up on me and my finances even out. This is all good stuff so let's just say I am pausing here to say yay and move on. The unfortunate part of all this is that the extra hours I am being offered are all nights and more specifically fall in or around the weekend. That would all be fine if it had not already been established that all I am able for after a full nights work is sleeping and eating which I am told is pretty boring. 

Now don't get me wrong, I am happy to be working in social care, after all I spent long enough waiting for my opportunity to come. Many days spent pretending to dust in the bookshop while I dreamed of actually getting my foot on the ladder. While not quite being the Cinderella like scenario my mind had conjured up, there was no fairy Godmother, I am delighted to be fulfilling a near years resolution ( a first for me) and the work is both interesting and challenging. I am glad to getting as much experience as I can and I know its good to be offered repeat work with the same client, it means I must be doing something right. But oh boy do I wish that client wasn't a 40 minute drive away with the work starting at 11pm and finishing at 7am. If I ever got pulled over on the drive home, one look at my eyes and they would breathalyse me for sure. Sleep deprived Laura does not belong on a motorway, that much we can say for sure. 

On the other hand my college hours are getting shorter. The student I work with is in College Monday to Thursday but lately with timetable changes, cancelled classes and tutorials that don't require a note taker, I am averaging about 15 hours a week so when the chance comes to make up hours I jump at it. Then I remember how I felt after my last few working nights and how it decimated my weekend and quickly send an apology to my boyfriend with promises of diamond shoes or wine or diamond wine when I next get paid. While it will be great to be getting some money it will be considerably less great to be too tired to actually go anywhere to spend it. 

So far what I have signed up for is Friday and Saturday night this weekend. Which means I am free to do something Thursday night and Friday daytime but Saturday and Sunday I will sleeping, eating or wishing I was doing more of one of the two. So not exactly party animal. Plus I can't make evening plans as I need to be on the road for 10pm my night shift. Then I have college Monday to Thursday and next weekend I am working Thursday to Saturday night. I have never done three nights in a row before and I am not anticipating it will be much fun but it will be good when that wage comes in. I have also signed up to the night before St Patricks day (as the college is closed) and I can pretend the reason I am drunkenly lurching about the place on St Patricks day is down to alcohol and not lack of sleep so that will be fun. I have however managed to secure a weekend off just after that. My Birthday falls on the 18th of March, most people will be recovering from St Patricks day and I will just be recovering from the night shift I worked that week because now that I am old that's how it works. After a few weekends in a row of a sleepless haze, it will be exciting to be able to interact like a normal human and I might make other plans because so far all I have got is blatantly ignoring the fact that I will be turning 33. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..