Weekends are for ....

Looking at the weekend that lies ahead for me, I am glad I made the most of last weekends sunshine. For most people the weekend involves some sort of plans, some type of social activity and for the very lucky two glorious days where no working will be done. For me the weekend officially starts tonight. I have finished my Pa work for the Easter break and as of 11pm tonight I will be starting a round of 4 working nights. I can't say I am terribly excited at the prospect given how wiped I was after the weekend I worked three in a row but my rent wont pay itself so I'll get through it somehow.

For me the working night prep actually started on Monday and I know that's not common practice but Monday was the day I chose to kick my sugar habit. It was getting out of hand, I felt like crap and I was getting sick of feeling like my pants were trying to kill me. The reason that had to start Monday is that as from tomorrow my defences will be weak, oh so weak and I would be fighting a losing battle trying to start being healthy after a working night without a bit of practice beforehand. I have been doing well over the last few days and I spent an absolute fortune on fruit and other healthy goodies in my food shop so hopefully it will pay off and I wont fall off the wagon in a dramatic fashion.

Luckily for me Thursday is not a particularly hectic day college wise. I only had one lecture at 3 so the plan was to get a really good nights sleep and have a lovely lie and be all refreshed to start the weekend madness ( work and not some epic party). That didn't work out so well as I had a very thrashy (as in thrashing around in bed a lot) nights sleep and woke up too early feeling very cranky. It was probably the sugar detox, giving up sugar is a nasty business so I am prepared to blame everything bad on that for the next few weeks. 

Part one of my plan had failed but I bravely dragged myself out of bed and into the shower so I could go food shopping. That was part two of my plan, buy lots of lovely healthy food so that I can make good food choices over the weekend and then hopefully not feel awful for the next four days. That worked out a lot more expensive than I expected but on the plus side it has allowed me to make the delicious fruit waters above, I think there might be added health benefits to them ( they flush you out and whatnot) but they taste yummy and it will keep me nice and hydrated.  

Then the next part of this master plan was to make my way into Penneys and buy tracksuit pants. Before you worry that I have drastically let myself go, allow me to explain. I will be working lots of late nights and as I do this, I reach a point in the night where I realise why the other carer has tracksuit pants and why I am very silly to be wearing skinny jeans. I will be tired and missing my bed so it only makes sense that I get as close to pyjamas pants as I can while remaining in socially acceptable attire. Its all about the comfort, trust me that helps. I tried on a million pairs of women's pants ( possibly more like 4) and they all did very weird things to the bottom half of my body, none of those things were good. They managed to make it look like I had something weird going on in the crotch area or had really chunky legs and they weren't that comfortable so I popped up to the men's department and picked up two very soft pairs in medium. I waited till I got home to try them and while they are the most comfortable thing I have ever put on, they do make me look a little like a convict. Perhaps I shouldn't wear them with one of my many stripey t-shirts.

I got home with lots of time to spare before college so I threw on some fishcakes (I had bought a few days ago and kept putting off eating) and then made myself eat them while I drank fruity water and watched a tv show. They were as I suspected, very fishy ( not surprising given the name ) so I can only assume they were very good for me and give myself a pat on the back for eating some much needed protein. I got into college with time to get coffee number two and by the time I finished drinking it I realised the class wasn't going ahead. So I headed home for the next part of my plan. Trying some Yoga Nidra. My mum gave me a cd of it ages ago which I lost without ever listening to so I downloaded an app. She tells me its as good as a nap. It's a form of guided relaxation. I figured it was worth a shot because my body is very bad at napping when I tell it to. I only did it for 7 minutes because that's all the app offered for free but I do feel a bit more refreshed after it and if that fails I will always have coffee and green tea as my back ups. 

All of that done, I just need to have dinner and then relax until its time to leave for work. Wish me luck and I hope you're all doing something nicer with your weekends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..