In search of a garden

As anyone living in Ireland knows, we don't get much in the way of sun. For the last few days  we have been getting some uncharacteristically sunny spells given the frost we had only weeks before. In some ways its great to have this weather in April, people are stripping down to shorts and vests and making the most of it but then there's always the worry that we're getting our summer now and during the real summer months we'll be facing rainy days and grey skies. Luckily for me I have only missed one day because of working nights and the rest of the time I have been out enjoying the sun as much as I can.

The thing about this sort of weather is it always leaves me wishing I didn't live in apartment block. It's weather for outdoors especially when indoors is getting uncomfortably warm. On one side my apartment faces a car park and on the other a small river.I even have a narrow balcony that gets no sun so isn't good for very much. It gets great light in here with skylights in very room but the bedroom so you can feel the sun streaming in wherever you go but the one thing this place doesn't have is a garden. There are plenty of places to go for the sun but it's not quite the same. There's a bench out front and a park across the road. There's plenty of bars with beer gardens. I have several beaches only a short drive away so when I have all day I am not exactly confined to my apartment but its just not the same.

I am certain last summer I was wishing the same thing but was reluctant to move out of town and find myself in a house full of strangers. All I want is to be able to bring my lunch out onto my very own lawn and to sit there with my book lapping up the sun except my lawn is just concrete which is less than inviting, not to mention the strange looks I would be likely to get from neighbours.
My parents house, the one they are so keen to sell, has lovely gardens on either side and on one side they have a patio in the sun and a garden swing/couch in the shade but I am not willing to drive 40 minutes just to sit there.

For now I will just find excuses to get out in the sun or else sit at my window thinking enviously of those with sprawling lawns, luscious green grasses on which to sit their chairs or lie their blankets and pretend the feeling of sun in my balcony window is almost the same thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..