Weekend in a day


Weekends off have become like fairy dust to me, a beautiful rarity. I remember a time in the long long ago when I could guarantee one off every few weeks but it's not the case with agency social care work so I had to fight for my Saturday off and I was determined to make the most of it. I got up early on Saturday to make myself look beautiful ( or at least make a valiant attempt ) and buy some food and at 11 , Stephen called over. I had friends travelling down from Galway and I wanted us to get out for a walk before they arrived. We went out to the minaun by Faithlegg to traipse through a mostly decimated forest. Its got a Coilte sign at the entrance which says their motto is leave no trace but it was more like someone has misinterpreted it to mean leave no trees. My friends arrived down earlier than expected so our walk was cut short and we made our way back into town for lunchtime.

We had a bit of a wander and went for coffee with the girls and then all headed home to prepare for the night ahead. We had a great night planned. Dinner at Momo restaurant followed by going to see my favourites Beef Supreme in Central arts and then out for a bit of a dance. I was sticking to water as I had an early start for work in the morning. 

We met the girls (Lisa- a good friend from college and her twin Eva) at the reg bar for a quick drink before heading up to Momo to stuff ourselves. Stephen and I were getting our dinner for free because we had spotted a deal on a site called grab one which gave you a 2 course dinner for 2 with prosecco cocktails for just €33. A fantastic deal and we had paid for it weeks ago so it felt like a free meal on the night which is always a good thing. Its a known fact that free food is five times more delicious. I know if you read my blog it probably seems like I only ever eat in one restaurant in Waterford and that's most true. In my defence I am still waiting to find somewhere else where the food is consistently delicious and they cater so well for my awkward eating needs. Until that day Momo is where I'll keep going. It is great to have somewhere to bring friends and be able to say its good value and yummy instead of doing that half shrug I used to do in years gone by when asked for food recommendations. We all got starters, the girls shared wine and Stephen drank the free cocktails while I looked on jealously and sipped my water. I don't usually order a starter because I'm not normally hungry enough for that an a main course but we were allowed two courses as part of the deal so I had a starter risotto, I can't get enough of their Squash and Hazelnut Risotto ( yum) and tempura fish for my main. The girls tried the risotto too and virtually licked their plates clean while Stephen had a prawn cocktail. For the main I had tempura fish, Stephen got a half a cow ( I mean beef ribs) and the girls had incinerated steaks. I might be a vegetarian but I believe that's not the best way to eat them. My fish was so light and delicious that I double checked it was gluten free tempura after the first bite. I am always suspicious when something gluten free is too nice because I worry I am accidentally eating wheat but it turns out they had just perfected the recipe. Everyone cleared their plates and agreed it was a great meal. Bellies full we headed to Central Hall.

As I mentioned earlier the band of the night were Beef Supreme. I had seen them play in Central arts a few months back and written a great blog post       ( http://bookshoplaura.blogspot.ie/2014/09/im-so-dedicated-i-could-be-part-time.html )
about it so I was looking forward to seeing them play again. Their support was a guy called John Keane. A local singer songwriter who had played at the open mic nights. It seems they are more than just entertainment because Open Mic nights are a great way to discover some of the fantastic talent Waterford has in spades and then book them as support for upcoming gigs. He sang a number of songs he had written himself and you could tell he had poured his heart and soul into them. The lyrics were beautifully written and I was pleased I recognised most of the songs from the previous times I had seen him perform so I was able to nod along. He had a very mellow sound that works well in an intimate venue. If you haven't heard of him, I have a feeling you will soon. Fantastically talented and it's great to have places like Central arts giving him the opportunity to showcase his work.

After Johns performance, I was feeling suitably chilled out but I knew I was in for some livelier songs once Beef Supreme got started and I was looking forward to hearing my favourite ' Six rusty nails'. After Beef Supreme had played last I bought their ep and album so I entertained myself for long after playing Best of Beef and live at the waffle house on repeat. Usually when I discover a new band I like to play their music until everyone starts asking if I own any other cds. The good thing about this is that I knew virtually every song they played which in my opinion always makes a gig better. As you can see in the photos above there are several members in the band, so many that I struggled to get them into the one shot when trying to take a photo of them playing. They play a ridiculous amount of instruments but everyone brings something to the party and you never feel that the individual songs would sound better if you stripped them back. Overall it creates a very unique sound, I know one review described as playing 'the divils music' but if that's the case then the divil has exceptionally good taste. I am disastrously bad at trying to work out musical genres for bands. I tend to categorise it either as music I like or music I dont. Probably for the best that I am not a music reviewer so. I do know that I am ready to be a full time groupie for Beef Supreme and my friend Lisa would like a side gig acting out their songs while they play. She did a wonderful job during 'six rusty nails' (hammering in the coffin). They are a bit folk and a bit rock but overall it makes for a great sound. After the gig I asked to meet the band. I wanted to get a photo with them but also I was thinking it might be nice to let them know I had written the previous blog. Naturally I was fine for all of two seconds when I got ridiculously awkward because they were saying nice things, if only they had offset it by throwing in something mean and I'd have been grand. I got my photo in the end and left Central arts feeling very upbeat and energised after the gig. All good things given that normally sober Laura is very much ready for bed come 12. 

We made our way after to Reg bar because it was close and the girls fancied a dance. It was packed and unfortunately not with the towns best and brightest. I wont go into too much detail but it made me hold on very tight to Stephen and be glad I wasn't trying to meet someone in that crowd. We headed into the nightclub part because the bar was too crowded and full of creepy men. There was a cover band playing but they were actually very good. Plus it wasn't long before the dance floor filled up a little and I got to go out and demonstrate comedy dancing. That's where you copy the moves of the worst dancer you can find and I was in for a treat last night as there was plenty to choose from. Usually I don't dance sober but last night I didn't care and I danced loads and had a great time. As much as I enjoyed dancing, I got more of a laugh at the very drunk men trying to pick up my friends. We left at 2 when our feet could stand no longer in heels and after a guy who looked like he might have been recently paroled spent 10 minutes trying to talk my friend Lisa into bed. I think she had a lucky escape. I hobbled home, glad we had chosen a bar near my place and got into my pyjamas to try and grab a few hours sleep before work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..