The other side of clean living



If I were to be completely honest I would tell you that my life these days involves a lot more fluffy slippers than it does sparkly dresses even in the festive season. I assume its fair to start calling it that now December is upon us. These days my lifestyle is pretty healthy and not because I am on some sort of quest but just small changes I have made in the last year have amounted to such. I don't drink alcohol any more. I might drink again at some point in the future but after almost a year without it I doubt it. I gave up sugar some months ago and I am quite hopeful for the sake of my health and my waistline that this will be the one that sticks. I don't eat processed foods for the most part. I am going to Crossfit classes every chance I get and some days I think its the only thing keeping me sane. I am even trying to cull back my coffee habit, my last remaining vice but one bad nights sleep might just topple me over the edge and send me running to the closest barista. Yes this is my life now.

I will admit to looking better and feeling better since making these changes and there's nothing wrong with that. If I could only tackle my desire to eat foods that make me ill (sourdough bread and bounce bars I am talking to you) and actually start to manage my stress levels then there would be no stopping me. The only problem with this new cleaner, healthier version of myself is that for everyone else it makes me a lot less exciting. I know that this clean living isn't for everyone but I feel like it might be for me and I can't see myself giving it up any time soon. Especially if the extra sleep and lack of alcohol mean I start to see some progress in the gym. You know things have changed when leaving your worries at the bar is far more likely to refer to a good workout (with a barbel) than over indulging in alcohol.

Maybe this is a part of growing up but all around me my peers are still eating, drinking and living like their twenty year old selves and I wonder if I am mad with my herbal tea and adult colouring book. Does it really matter if I am happy in myself. The one thing that has changed is I find social occasions really hard without the crutch of alcohol I am tired early, easily bored and incredibly socially awkward. Hopefully that is something I will overcome in time. Another aspect of this lifestyle change that's hard is reigning in the need to share your knowledge of living healthier with people who haven't asked or maybe aren't ready to hear it. This is something I am certainly working on and I will get better or chew my lip to pieces trying. Like everything in my life including me it is a work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..